Chapter 9

Jace knew what was going to happen before it did, as the lights flickered  violently on and off. He whispered to Alec who nodded in response his eyes flickering across the room to where Valentine sat his feet kick up over the arm of the chair in boredom. With a cruel smile he sat up and began to move across the room to where he had seen Jace and the wretched Lightwood sitting. The crowd parted for him cowering behind chairs as far as they could get there was no escape for the frightened warlock. Valentine knew that. Alec saw the threat coming towards him reminding him of Moses but he still couldn't locate Magnus it was like he had disappeared altogether and he was lonely without his parabati who had vanished into the crowd.

"Where's your Friends LightWorm?" Valentine sneered continuing his path he was half way across already.

Valentine had  miscalculated  the bravery of the warlocks two of whom were stood in front of him refusing to move. Valentine had hoped they would but he did love shedding blood. He whipped out his Kindjal blade but they didn't budge.

"Well, Well remove the hoods so I can see the look in your eyes as I kill you" Valentine asked with a smile

He immediately lost his breath as the two figures did what was requested and there stood Tessa and James Carstairs who both were eyeing up their opponent who was flabbergasted.

"Only Will had the honour of that nickname you bastard " James shouted

"Jem this man is Valentine Morgenstern remember training we are here to observe not to shed blood but you do get your share as does Jace and the latest installment of the Lightwood, Alec who does have Gabriel's hair" Tessa said reassuring Jem with a smile.

"Alec you better join us as should you Herondale don't look so indignant and shocked, Magnus I might have known" Tessa called out making Jace pull a face and reluctantly join them with Alec and Magnus who had just come back into view. Both Jace and Alec's blades lit up without names.

"Tessa Gray isn't it? Oh and the silent brother who became a shadowhunter again  have you excepted your true name yet I am guessing so and you are now out of date , oh I am aren't I?" Valentine said making. Tessa cast a look at Jem but it was enough for his accusation's to be proved to be true. A ripple of shock passed around the room from all the warlocks and a occasional witch.

"I go by Tessa Starkweather now, James is well being is no concern of yours but now let these people go or I will be forced to change and do it myself you have no place here in this building of law and order" Tessa spoke with truth and won the audience over who took arms with objects for the itfrits and magic for everyone else.

"Warlock your bitch did this to me with her supernatural powers and all" Valentine cursed as he wiped a deep wound in his cheek which had begun to bleed openly again

"Remind me to raise her allowance , it suits you very much Valentine, now where is she?" Magnus demanded

"With my fellow companions who are remaining back at home for your safety, she is safe for now I can assure you of such, now back to matter at hand" Valentine said

"Step aside and give me those boys or I will be forced to call in the Shax demon that killed Will with its bite it remembers you fondly" Valentine said with a laugh

"Bring it!" Tessa exclaimed

"Tessa" Jem said warningly and Jace turned to look at her as if she was mad as they met there match and they realised that a Shax demon was bad news.