◇Chapter 1◇

My eyes slowly opened as I turned away from the warm sun rays that were shining through my window.

Ugh Monday.

I rolled out of bed and walked out of my room and down the hall. I slowly opened the blue door and peeped inside. Half the sheet was on the floor and his head was hanging off the bed with one foot on the wall and the other on his pillow. I swear this boy slept like he acted out his dreams, which have lately been being Iron Man in The Avengers.

I closed the door and went back to my room. I had a cold shower, got dressed, did my hair in a messy bun and desended the wooden stairs. I decided to make rainbow coloured pancakes, Quin's favorite. I finished shortly after and went back to his room. I rubbed his back gently and called his name.

"Quin? Time to get up sweetie." No response. He's a deep sleeper.

"Quin Caladrina." I spoke a little louder and firmer.

He slowly opened his eyes and smiled at me.

"Goodmorning." I brushed is curly hair back and gave him a warm smile.

"Morning. I got him this time Isa. Ugertazor. I defeated him and saved the city." He sounded so cute still taliking in his sleepy voice.

"That's great buddy. High five."

We high fived and Quin got out of bed. He walked out of the room turned right towards the stairs.

"Quin?" I called after him.

He turned around and went into the bathroom. I heard the pipe turn on and off. He came out shortly after.

"Soorrry." He gave me a teethy smile probably proving that he brushed them properly and went downstairs.

I made his bed, packed his bag for preschool and carried it downstairs with me. Upon reaching the last stair I saw Quin standing at the counter waiting patiently. He couldn't climb the stool by himself as yet. I walked over, lifted him and placed him to sit on the stool. I was neatly staking his pancakes on his plate when I heard my father's car pull in.

"Can I have whip cream Isa? Pleeeeeaaasaaassssseeeeee?" He begged in an adorable voice.

"Quin lenghting the please won't soften my heart." I said softly to him as I finished washing the frying pan.

He shrugged. "Worth a try."

I chuckled at my smart mouth 3 year old brother.

"Just a little. "

"Yaaaay!" His face beamed at me as he stretched his tiny hands out for a hug. I hugged him tightly and afterward placed some cream on his pancakes. He ate heartily, getting cream on his nose and long black eyelashes. I leaned over the counter watching his every move. Recording it in my brain.

I loved my little brother. He was the light in my life. I basically raised him since my mother left when he was just 7 months. My father didn't help much but he was there. . .sometimes. The front door opened and slammed. He walked past us, up the stairs and into his room. The whole house stank of liquor and strippers.

"Come on bud. Time for your shower."

I got Quin dressed for school and closed the door on my way out. I held his hand while we walked down the block in the warm spring air.

"Hi Mrs. Frend." Quin waved to our neighbor.

"Hi Quin. Looking sharp I see." She smiled while watering her lawn.

"Thank you." He pushed his chest out feeling proud.

I exchanged smiles with the lady and contined down the block then took a left. Laughter filled the street and soon we were standing at a colourful wooden gate.