Chapter 35

-----Kylie's P.O.V-----

The many machines in the room beep feverishly as the dim lights flicker on and off. I doze in and out of sleep, and border somewhere in between exhaustion and insanity. Sweat rolls down my back as I try to find a positition comfortable enough for me to fall asleep in. I place a hand on my now visible baby bump, tears flowing to my eyes as I realize that I may have to do this without my one true love. I struggle to breathe, and it feels as if my throat is closing up, trying to choke itself. I try to keep my breathing steady as Niall lies in the hospital bed across the room, unconscious.

"Go Home," Violet insists, grabbing my hand and attempting to pull me out of the chair, breathing heavily. I push myself farther into the worn green material and shake my head, for fear that if I speak, I will cry. I can't let her see me cry, because then she will cry, too. And there's nothing worse than seeing someone you love cry. I've only seen Violet cry two times in my life; at the funeral, and today. I clench my firsts tight, trying to release all the pain and sorrow I have buried deep with in me. People enter in and out of the doors, but I'm vaguely aware. My eyes are fixed on Niall, lying stiff on that hospital bed that feels like rocks. I bury my head into a dusty torn pillow so I can't see him again. I don't want to see his body, lying lifeless in a bed that I have learned to asscociate with death. Nurses buzz in and out of the room, speaking to each other in hushed whispers and then sighing. When their eyes meet mine, I see a look of terror, but not for long because they hurry out of the room. Violet is sleeping comfortably in the corner of the dark, four walled prison. Sleep. The idea seems so promising to me as I struggle to keep my eyes open. But can't sleep. No. What if Niall wakes up and sees me asleep? What will he think? I have to stay awake for him. For us. I twist a strand of curly red hair around my finger, something that I have recently figured out is a nervous habbit of mine. My emerald green eyes anxiously scan the room as I tap away on my black iphone in an attempt to distract myself. A nurse comes into the room and asks if I need anything. I want to say yes, I need Niall back, but I know she can't do anything. So instead I shake my head politely and turn away to face the wall as a stray tear rolls down my cheek. I hurriedly wipe it away as a new figure enters the room; Louis.

"Love," He speaks quietly, pulling me into his warm embrace. I sob into his shoulder quietly as he strokes my hair and slowly rocks back and forth. His usual happy jolly face is twisted in agony.

"I thought this was what you wanted." I accuse, pulling away from him, remembering all the things he's said. His words echo in my mind like knives, cutting apart every sane piece of me that is left. I collapse into the chair weakly, but I don't remove my angry gaze from his stormy eyes that have so much hidden in them. Staring into his eyes, I see something I've never seen before. Hurt.

"So did I." is his simple, quiet reply before wandering over to Violet and kissing her softly on the fore head. I miss my fore head kisses, I realize and lean my fore head against the wall, allowing tears to fall down my soft cheeks. The room smells strongly of vomit, and reeks with the smell of death. A lot of people think that death doesn't have a smell, but I know. I've seen way too many people go before their time. I lean over the side of the chair and vomit. Louis hurries over to me, and rubbing my back, sets me on his lap. "You're getting yourself too worked up." He tells me seriously. "You need to stay strong. For you, for Niall. For Violet. For all of us." Violet stirs on the other side of the room, but I don't dare turn away from Louis's stare. I'm held captive by those powerful eyes that contain so many emotions I didn't know existed. The birds chirp happily outside the window, as if making fun of me. I shut my eyes and take a deep breath. I count to ten before opening them again, a technique my grandma taught me when I was only six. Tiny raindrops splash into the room and the breeze rustles the curtains as Louis walks over to the window and throws it open. Something's rolling down my cheek, and I'm not sure if its tears or raindrops. Bright light streams into the room and I pinch my eyes shut. When I open my eyes again, it seems as if I am in a dream. I close my eyes once more, rub them with all my might, and open them again. Niall opens his eyes, those big ocean blue eyes I have been longing to see for the past twenty four hours, and smiles.

"Niall!" I cry weakly, struggling to push myself up out of the chair. Louis scoops my small body up with ease, and lays me in the small bed.

"I missed you." Niall mumurs, caressing my cheek. I pull him in for a long, passionate kiss, and it seems like we are the only two people in the world.

"I love you." I mumur the three simple words with tears falling down my cheeks.