This Run Pt. 1

The Run by Anthony Riss Pt.. 1

"Come on Mark!" John screamed "we don't have time!" Mark yelled back "I'm not leaving her John! She needs help, she's just a little girl." Mark insisted "We only came for the food Mark, we can't help everyone we pass!" Mark ignores John and runs for the girl... He is stopped in his tracks when he sees a man come out of the dark and takes down three creatures with a tree branch... Mark stares at the mysterious figure as he watches the girl jump into the mans arms. The man looked young mid twenty's at least 5'8 with a medium build. Blood covered his face and shirt from the events that just took place. Mark thinks to himself "Who is this guy?" The girl speaks to the man asking "Daddy, who are they? "The man stares for a second and says "I don't know baby, get behind me and if anything happens you run okay?" He puts his daughter down and she quickly scurries behind him. Mark sees the man reaching to his side assuming he had a gun at his side and quickly says "We have a place!..." it gets quite, the man freezes. John angrily ask Mark "What are you-" Mark quickly interrupts him "Shut the hell up John! I know what I'm doing!" John replies "You're giving away our people!" Mark screams at John "He has a daughter!" John is stunned and angered "Fine, you explain to the council why we brought two more mouths to feed, I'll be in the truck." Mark looks back at the man who is now holding his daughter and asks him "Would you like to come with us? We've got a place. We turned a high school about an hour drive from here into a fortress." The man looks at Mark, first with concern then with relief. He says "A high school huh? Which one?" Mark smiles and says "Lawton High School." The man gives Mark a big smirk "Oh really? I used to go there before.... this." Mark is curious now but realized it was getting dark and motions the man and girl to the truck, John looks at Mark with anger once he enters the car but looks back at the man and girl and gives her a smile. John looks in his rear view mirror and ask "So who has entered to enjoy my lovely cab service today?" The man grins and the girl lets out a laugh and Mark looks at him in disgust for making the cheesy joke. The man continues on to say "My name is Anthony and this is my daughter Marissa.... we've been on the road for 2 days now, coming from Norman." Mark is curious "Norman? I thought you said you went to school in Lawton?" Anthony smiles and begins to explain "I did, I'm a teacher or WAS.... My daughter is one of my students." Mark ask "Oh? What did you teach?" Anthony was hesitant to say as if he knew what their reaction would be. "....Dance" John lets out a chuckle "John that's not funny!" Mark says with a big smile on his face. "Haha no wonder he was able to take out three of THEM, he was light on his feet haha!" Said John sarcastically. Anthony grinned and said "I taught hip-hop and when my assistant couldn't make it in I would sometimes, SOMETIMES teach ballet, not by choice but because girls tend to like that more." Mark smiles "Well we are glad we found someone who can handle The Hungry huh John?" Anthony asks confused "The Hungry? Is that what you call THEM?" John replies "Yeah it suits THEM, since they are always ready to eat the first thing that crosses their path." Mark adds "They are super aggressive, their numbers are thin during the day, but at night... at night their... different." Anthony ask "Different? Different how?" Marks says "They start to wonder in groups, like a heard but that's not why their more dangerous they seem to.. communicate with each other." Anthony looks at Mark stunned at what he had just heard "Yeah sounds crazy right but one night me and John we on This Run and we saw a group huddled together in a circle just staring at one another moaning and grunting. Couldn't make any sense of it so we moved on. You never seen anything like that at night?" Anthony replies "No I always found a place and barricaded ourselves inside." Mark says "Well I'm glad you made it this far, our leaders would be eager to meet someone like you." Mark looks at Marissa and gives her a smile "Don't worry there are other kids in the community too, you'll love it." Marissa yawns and ask "Are we almost there?" Mark grins "Yes just about, probably another 20 min-" John screams "OH SHIT!"

End of part one