Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Lia’s P.O.V.

“You’re mad at me again?” Luke asks, trying to catch up to me in the hall.

“Yes. I am.”

“Why?” He whines.

“Because you left. I woke up to an empty bed which was weird since you were having a meltdown the night before.”

“I’m sorry-”

“No. You’re not. You haven’t even made an effort to try to talk to me since then. What’s going on with you Luke? You’ve been so vague and weird lately.”

“I’m not trying to be. I’m just going through… personal stuff.”

“That I could help with.” I tell him, rolling my eyes.

“It’s not something you want to be involved in, Lia.”

“What, Luke? Are you on drugs or something?”

He laughs. “No, I’m not on drugs.”

“Then what’s so bad you can’t tell me about it?” I ask, weaving my way through students crowding the halls.

“Slow down!” Luke says, grabbing my hand. “We’re just going to lunch. Why are you in such a hurry?”

I pull my hand away from his and roll my eyes. “Luke, I’m mad at you.”
“But why? I love you.” He whines, pointing at my cast.

“You can’t just say you love me and expect everything to be better, Luke. That’s not how things work in the real world.”

“What can I do to make it up to you?” He asks.

“I don’t know, Luke. You’re being a dick and really vague and you’re just coming off as a huge asshole like the first day I met you.”

Luke stops walking and turns to face me. “Are you fucking kidding me? I’m trying to make an effort to figure out how to make it up to you, and you’re calling me an asshole? Okay, great. That’s fucking great, Lia. I’m trying my hardest here but you’re just-”
“Luke, I’m not in the mood to fight.”
“Well too fucking bad because you instigated it and now I’m gonna tell you how I feel.”

“Fine.” I tell him, crossing my arms.

“Come with me.” He grabs my hand and drags me out of the school building to his car. He opens the passenger door and I take a seat, folding my arms across my chest. He gets in the driver’s side and closes his door, letting us sit in silence for a bit before he speaks. “Sorry if I’ve been acting weird.” Luke says quietly.

“It’s okay-”

“No, it’s not.” He says. “I’ve just been having a rough time..”

“You wanna talk about it?” I ask.

“Lia, you know I love you, right?”

Fuck. This is how it always is in the movies, right before something bad happens. And I know my life is far from a movie, but I’m honestly scared to death. I swallow nervously and nod.

He takes a deep breath and runs his hands through his hair. “I’m sorry, Lia.”

“What are you sorry about?” I ask.

“I-” His phone rings and he sighs before looking down. “Give me a second.” He says. He picks up the phone. “Michael, I’m busy. I’m in the parking lot. Yeah, bye.” He turns to face me and takes a deep breath. “Lia, I’m really sorry.”