Chapter 22: Prom (Part 2)

Chapter 22

Adelia’s P.O.V.

“Wow, I really wasn’t missing anything.” I tell Luke as he gets us some punch, which hopefully isn’t spiked. I’d actually like to remember tonight. I look around the room and see that the overall theme is stupid. There’s balloons, a random band playing, and people are dry humping each other. Volunteer adult chaperones are on the move, separating couples that are too close, and eating half of the snacks.

“That makes me feel great.” He says with an eyeroll.

“You know that’s not what I meant.” I tell him with a grin.

“Just be glad no one stole your dress.” Luke says.

“I like to keep it classy.” I tell him. “Everyone else here barely has clothes on.”

“Wanna dance?” Luke asks.

“Sure.” I tell him with a grin. We set our cups down on a table and head to the dance floor, also known as the gym. Luke puts his hands around my waist and I wrap my arms around his neck, my cast resting awkwardly on his shoulder.

“You really do look beautiful.” He tells me with a smile.

“Thank you.” I tell him, biting down on my lip. “You look very handsome.”

“I know. This tux is great.” He says.

I roll my eyes. “You’re also very humble.”
“Always have been.” He tells me with a laugh.

“So is this what we do all night? Make small talk and dance?”

“It doesn’t have to be small talk.” He says. “We can get deep. Like, how do you think the world was created?”

“Not that deep.” I tell him. “How about… favorite colors? I don’t think I know yours.”

“Red.” He answers, eyeing my dress.

“I like blue.” I tell him with a smile.

He smiles awkwardly. “Next question.” He says.

“Hmm… Favorite book?”

“I don’t like reading.” He admits.

“Neither do I.” I say, awkwardly. “That was a stupid question.”
“This shouldn’t be awkward.” Luke says. “Let’s not make this awkward.”

“Okay. Get some punch, some cookies, and meet me by the bleachers.” I tell him. He nods and I move to the corner of the gymnasium where the bleachers are set up. A few people are spread around on them, but almost everyone is on the dance floor. There’s not as many wallflowers as I thought there would be.

“Here you go.” Luke says, handing me a cookie.

“Thank you.” I tell him. He sets the punch next to us and takes a seat next to me. “So, this is prom.”

“Not as great as you think it’d be.”

I laugh. “Yeah, not too hot.”
“Hey, Ashton’s here.” Luke says, tilting his head in Ashton’s direction.

“Speaking of Ashton, what’d he even tell you before we left?” I ask.

“Not to have sex with you.”

“Should’ve guessed.” I tell him with a laugh. I take a drink of punch and a bite of my cookie. “Do you think Marigold’s gonna show up with her face looking like a train hit it?”