Five

Niall went with Karen to get Nathan's body cremated. Once the white sheet were taken off of Nathan's upper body all of Niall's emotions came crashing onto him.

It was weird for Niall to see Nathan's face so lifeless and pale. When he was used to tan skin and a heart warming smile.

Niall controlled his emotions for Karen's sake because she broke down the moment she seen the scars from the beating on his body.

It didn't help when Niall came home to the Echinopsis cactus that Nathan had bought him dead and the flower was no longer blooming but a dark ugly color.

Niall wanted to hold on to the gift, even though it looked horrible. But when he smelt the faint odor coming from it he had no other choice but to throw it away.

Luckily the red and white roses were still pretty and alive since Niall had put them in a vase full of water near a sunny window.

Niall had to admit he didn't want to go back to work remembering the events from yesterday.

Niall had bumped into Harrison on his way inside the building so they decided to walk together.

Niall was on outside duty. And it was chilly outside but prison guards can't wear coats. Niall was sure he would have frost bites by the time his shift.

"You cold Horan ?" Harrison says looking at the shivering Niall. He was cold also but he wasn't as cold as Niall.

Niall shakes his head biting back a smile when Harrison laughs at his obvious lie.

"Let's warm you up ."Harrison grabs Niall by the shoulders and pulls him into his chest, resting Niall's head on his shoulder. "You poor baby ."

Niall shoves Harrison off of him with a laugh. "You're such an ass ."

"No, this system is an ass for not letting us wear coats . Look at my arm !" Harrison shows Niall the chill bumps that scattered his arm.

"Look at me !" Niall says as he tried to rub the coldness out of his arms. The thin jackets they were wearing were barely helping.

"I don't know how they do it ." Harrison says referring to the other guards who were standing at their post like they weren't cold.

"Maybe they have different blood types than us ."

"Yeah....I've been meaning to talk to you about that object case." Harrison says in a low tone.

"I was beginning to think you forgot about that ."

"I had a talk with the previous food servers. One of them told me they saw a guard go into the kitchen and grab something then leave out ."

"That doesn't mean anything . I go in the kitchen to grab silverware all the time ." It was true. Niall decided to save money and time by making his own lunches.

"The server also told me that same day a knife was missing from the shelf ." Harrison explains.

Niall hums. "We can't just point the finger at the guard. We have to figure out the names of all the servers at the time of that shift and if they have any relation with Harry ."

Harrison nods "I've been meaning to ask you something ."

"What ?"

"Is there something going on with you and Styles ?"

Niall felt his throat go dry but he quickly recovered. "No. Why ?"