Chapter 38: Reunion Of The Ages.

Cassidy's P.O.V.

The door opened as Grayson walked in, then Roman.

I quickly stood up, not sure of how he was going to react.

He walked over to Caine with a blank expression on his face as he gently grabbed Caine's hand.

"Roman-" I began but was immediately cut off by him.

"Can I just be alone with him for a bit?" He asked, not once taking his eyes off of the motionless body of his son.

"Of course." I said, then walked out of the room with Gray, closing the door behind me.

"I had no idea he was here already." I said.

"Neither did I until I saw him and uncle Max walking through the doors of the Rift. I just went ahead and broke the news to him. He didn't react the way I thought he would. Instead he just stared at me as if he was confused then went into silent mode."

"That's the worst kind of reaction..." I said to him.

Legend turned down the hall and made his way towards us.

"Just saw Rome come this way

"Just saw Rome come this way.." He said. "How's he taking it?"

"I guess we'll find out soon enough." I answered. "Can you two stay here for a few minutes just in case he comes out. I just need to talk to Max really quick."

"Yea of course." They agreed.

I made my way to the front of the Rift where people were cleaning up the damage.

No one was even saying anything.

Tension filled the air accompanied by worry.

No one expected this to happen though we probably should have all seen this coming.

"Max..." I called out when I spotted him about to go into a room down the hall.

"Hey how are you holding up?"

"By a thread." I answered. "Can I talk to you in private?"

"Of course."

By "in private" I meant along with Simartè as we made our way up to her office.

We walked in as Max closed the door behind us.

"What's up? He asked, sitting in a chair in front of Simartè's desk.

"Pretty sure you know what this is about..." Simartè said.

"I was really hoping I was wrong." He replied.

"Maxwell you have to stop this. All of it." She stated.

He raised an eyebrow as he gave her one of his 'wtf' looks.

"I have to stop this?" He repeated. "Raes started this. HE has to stop this. This has nothing to do with me."

"Max you know Raes isnt gonna stop." I remarked.  "And I dont know who made the decision to attack the Rift, but it only added fuel to Raes's fire. You have to talk to whoever made this call and tell them that attacking us is only gonna make things worse."