Chapter 5: Dinner Date

Lights, Camera, Slut it Up!: Chapter 5: Dinner Date

               I paced my living room, my muscles twitchy and anxious. I hadn't been able to talk to Abby alone. Every time I tried, she found a reason to be near our mother or siblings.

Liliana watched me from her place on the couch. "Nicky, our neighbors are going to complain if you fall through the floor." I hadn't told her about Abby's scars. I knew I should, but I wanted to talk to my little sister first.

              Chrystler had scars... both emotional and physical. They covered his arms, legs, and even spread onto his stomach. He had been in such pain back then. Then he moved in with me midway through our senior year of high school and I thought everything was getting better. There had been no new scars, no drinking, and no meltdowns... I thought I was saving Chrystler like he was saving me. I remember kneeling in front of him in his hospital room and kissing those scars. I told him how beautiful I found him. While he had been through a lot, it didn't define him. Those scars didn't make him damaged; on the contrary, it told me how strong he was. He was in such pain but he was a survivor. I had thought we were doing great. Now he was six feet under and I was still left wondering why.

              I slung my bag over my shoulder, eager to get out of the classroom. Cooking was no longer offering me the same escape. I couldn't get lost in my actions and the plate I created reflected that. My professor had even asked if I was feeling okay. I wasn't. I wasn't okay and I didn't know how to make it better. I was great at helping others... but I was shit at helping myself.

"Nicky!" I was halfway down the hall when my name was called. I turned to find every single girl in my class staring at a rather embarrassed looking Maxxie.

He was still dressed in a tailored three piece suit, as if you had come straight from work. "Hey?" I walked back to where he stood, trying his best to ignore the gawking.

"God Nicky," Nicole crossed her arms over her chest, "Are you and all your friends escaped lab experiments?"

"Thank you?" I had no idea if that was a compliment or an insult.

She smiled and narrowed her gaze on them further, "He's yummy." So it had been a compliment.

              I couldn't deny Maxxie's allure. Being six foot tall, he had a full 5 inches on me. His wide shoulders were nothing to joke about either. His abnormally dark hair highlighted his icy blue eyes and it almost made my knees go weak just looking at him.

              I joined Maxxie, leaving Nicole behind. "What are you doing here?"

He blushed, "I thought maybe you'd like to get some dinner."

I glanced at him suspiciously. "Liliana called you - didn't she?"

"She may have." He Shrugged. " – although I was planning on calling you tomorrow on my own."

I smiled but it felt forced. "I actually have some things I need to do today." It was a lie and we both knew it.

However, a grin lit up Maxxie's face. "Liliana has already assured me that you have nothing to do." He cleared his throat awkwardly. "She also threatened my manhood if you were home even a second before 8 o'clock." Now that sounded like my sister. She was annoying, bossy, bitchy, and most of the time, too nosey for her own good - but she meant well.

"Okay." I sighed. "If your manhood is in jeopardy then I guess I have no choice." He chuckled, but I didn't think he realize that Liliana didn't make empty threats.

               As usual, my car was left in the school parking lot while Maxxie drove us to a new restaurant he had heard about. "I thought all you rich fuckers had a driver?"