Chapter 6

I stayed with Mallord for about a week, like she had predicted. Most of the time I spent working on getting out of bed.

After my week-long wait, Mallord finally agreed to take me to see Knight and the others. She lent me some clothes since I had none of my own. I wore a red LA Angels sweatshirt that was way too big for me (from her dad), blue jeans that were a little bit baggy, some red sneakers, and a white shirt underneath my sweatshirt. Maya wore a white shirt with emoji's on it and acid bleached overalls. Her white converse were new and made me look a little bit drabby.

Maya carefully led me downstairs the day we were going to leave. Both her parents were home, and in the kitchen making breakfast. Her mom was slightly bigger than me and had pretty mid-length black hair. She wore a pair of gray sweatpants and a pink shirt. Her dad wore a white tank top with beer covered red pajama pants, suggesting he had just rolled out of bed.

"Morning baby. How are you?" Her mom asked. Mallord sat down at her table that looked like her little siblings had painted it. The cacophony of colors was nuts.

"Good mom. I'm gonna take Gale with me to work today." I was instantly scared, hoping her mom wouldn't ask my last name.

"Okay baby, let me just get you some lunch bags ready. You can have some manzanas while you wait. And have some leche too," Her mom went into the pantry on the other side of the brown kitchen and began to dig around.

"Hey, mama! Could you get us some agua?" Mallord yelled, handing me an apple and a glass of milk.

"Yes chica, I'll bring two bottles." Her mom returned with two paper sacks and two bottles of water.

"I packed jugo for lunch. You two have a good time," Mallord went over and kissed her mother as I downed my milk. As Mallord kissed her mom, her mom told her something I could barely make out. Mallord nodded then motioned for me to follow her.

We left the house and walked into the bitter cold. Okay, it wasn't super cold. But it was probably low 40's upper 30's, so it was kinda cold. Mallord motioned for me to follow her into the woods behind her house.

"Where are we going?" I asked. Mallord stopped trekking and turned around.

"We are going to the Youngblood Base. My mom knows where here. Actually, my parents are the only adults in the town who know about this place. Except for Voiceless. We need to stay out of sight because of, well..." I sighed and looked at her, annoyed.

"My arm." It was noticeable that one of the sweatshirt sleeves was hanging limp like a noodle at my side.

"Let's just get going. We're almost there. The apartment is just on the other side of these woods." I stopped for a moment, thinking.

"An apartment?" I ran after Mallord to catch up.

"Yeah, technically it's Knights. He goes to work every day. Works at the bank I think. Anyway, he rents it and we use it." Mallord kept walking just a pace ahead of me. We walked for about 3 more minutes, then reached a clearing in the woods.

In front of us loomed a 20 story apartment building. It was beige and very boring. Mallord led me into the garage that was in front of us. Then, after entering it, we went up a staircase at the end of the garage. The staircase was old, covered in grimy green carpet. We quickly went up 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, up to the 10th story. We then went through the grimy old door and entered the small hall.

The hall was covered in wallpaper that was a hideous tiny green vertical line on a white background. There were doors almost every 10 feet and I could tell this was not the best apartment complex.

"How big is his apartment?" I asked, nervousness pulsing through me.

"Two bedrooms, 1 ½ bath, 900 square feet."

"Dear Lord," I sighed. "This is a tiny base." Mallord stopped at the room with the number 181225. She then brought out a key and opened the door.

I walked into a sterile white room, full of chatter. There were a few chairs set around, and a large table running down the center of the room. On the wall in front of me was a command center like thing. A few kids turned around and smiled to see Mallord.

"Mallord, good to see you," One of them, a kid in overalls and sneakers with black spiked up hair. Another, with a head of ginger hair and a white dress, walked up behind him. Two girls and a boy worked the command center. One of the girls had curly purple hair and wore a white t-shirt and jeans. The other girl was skinny with silky brown hair and wore a white leotard with lose white leggings. The boy had dyed blue hair and wore a white torn tank top with a camo jacket, and camo pants with combat boots.

"Good to see you too. Everyone, this is Gale Lloyd. She's the last survivor of the White Kids." Everyone oohed and ahhed.

"Nice to meet you, the blue-headed kid said. "I'm torn, I'm the muscle. The purple haired girl is Android, the beauty and computer expert. The girl with white leggings is KitKat, the fighter, and gymnast. The ginger is Hot Head, the girl with a temper. And the coverall kid is Zaftig, he's the mechanic of the group." I smiled as I shook hands with them.

"You're really cool. We all learned about you in our basic training," Kit Kat said. Then, she looked around and asked. "Where's your other arm?"

"Patrick Stump cut it off," I said bluntly. They all cringed as I said it.

"I think she can get a prosthetic from children's mercy." As Mallord spoke, I heard crutches on the floor. I looked back to see a man with all gray hair crutching over to us.

"Mallord, good to see you. Everyone, back to work!" Everyone quickly went back to work.The man looked at me, then yelped.

"Oh my god. Galaxy, is that you?" I smiled, unable to contain myself.

"Kai, you're alive!" I ran over to him and hugged him with my one arm. It didn't matter if I could have anything in the world right now. I finally knew that someone else was alive. 

Since I can't update tomorrow, here is tomorrow's update today.