18 ⇢ Disposable

eighteen ◌ disposable

eighteen disposable

In hindsight, I should've known better. For twelve years, I've been training to be cautious and spot peculiarities from a mile away. But the fact is, preparing to fight for your life is different than actually embarking on it. In the middle of a specialized facility, if I mess up, I get another chance. Out here my one chance can very well be my only chance, and in the line of fire, there was no general scope dedicated to error.

"Tash, wait!"

When my fingers grasped the metal bars, my entire body felt a shockwave that brutally electrocuted me like a bolt of lightening to the chest. I let out a shrill of pain before collapsing onto the ground.

"It's electrically charged," Harry finished his statement with a cringe. He approached my throbbing body and placed his hands beneath my arms to drag me off to the side.

"Why didn't you fucking warn me?" I gasped for air, clutching onto my burning hand and wincing from the pain.

"I tried," Harry shrugged. "Next time don't go touching metal poles unless you're dancing around them."

I kicked his shin, a groan falling from his mouth, "you're such an ass hat Harry! If you were on fire, I'd use the flames to make s'mores."

"Focus!" Liam shouted, shooting a bullet off to the side. The clamorous bang startled me and I snapped my attention from the pretentious asswipe, to Liam who gawked at us with great irritation.

"Stop wasting bullets and compromising this task!" Harry fumed, snatching his own gun and pointing it at Liam.

"Yo! Quit being immature cuntholes!" Niall materialized from an opposite entryway. He glared at us with absolute displeasure as he trudged towards us. "Four fucking minutes! Commence phase two!"

"This is an electric cage," Harry gestured for the barrier of death. "I didn't prepare for this."

"Well I did," Niall muttered pushing his way past Harry. He stood before the cage, his fingers rapidly tapping away on the iPad in his hand. Within a few seconds, the sizzling echo of surging electricity completely died down and Niall reached for the metal handle.

"Niall," I shrieked, cringing as I watched him touch the same bar that sent me to the floor. However, Niall's story was different.

"I disabled it since it's part of the building power source," he explained simply, opening the cage.

The four of us filtered in, gazing at the intimidating steel vault. It was a gargantuan thing with large bolts, gears, and a futuristic keypad that emitted a neon green glow.

"Can you disable this?" I looked at Niall with worry.

"He won't be able to," Harry interjected and we all looked at him to explain. "This vault is made of promethium metal. As for this keypad, it's some of the best tech in the world— Obama couldn't get his hands on this even if he tried. It has its own power source, so it's not—"