8 ⇢ Tofurkey

eight ◌ tofurkey

eight tofurkey

It smelled like meat. Everywhere I turned, bam, I caught whiff of a sizzling carcass marinated in soy sauce. I couldn't complain though, Korean barbecue was one of my favorite things to eat. With the windows wide open in Liam's Koreatown apartment, the aroma of grilled Bulgogi was a total tease and my stomach was churning from hunger.

"You got anything to eat?" Niall asked the question I was already thinking.

Besides, distracting myself with food, meant distracting myself from the fact that Hex was no longer a part of this world. I've known the body-building Samoan since I was six years old. He helped raised me; helped shape me into the person I am today. He was like a second father to me, and within a snap of a finger, Hex was gone.

"Help yourself to whatever's in the fridge," Liam kindly offered from the small dining table. His focus was affixed on the high-grade laptop in front of him.

Liam's apartment was small, yet cozy. Despite his thug-like demeanor and his perpetual scowl, the home I currently sought salvation in, looked like a page from the Williams Sonoma website. I expected Liam's private quarters to be decorated with throwing knives, while free weights littered the floor. But alas, the hardcore street fighter had a home lovely enough to make perfectionist housewives drop to their knees and present Liam with a quick blowie.

"Is this your little sister?" I pointed to a cluster of photos in a large shadow box.

I was at an awe, observing the photographs on the wall by the open window. A little girl with a bright, dimpled smile and dark chestnut hair was the star of these pictures.

"Yea. Cute isn't she?" Liam's eyes were still glued to the laptop screen.

"She's darling," I commented with a small smile.

"Liam, what is this shit in your refrigerator? What the fuck is Tofurkey?" Niall stood in front of the ice box with his face contorted with absolute disgust. With two fingers, he held onto an air-tight package from its corner as if it were laced with poison.

"I let you go through a man's pantry and you criticize what's in it?" Liam barked. His dark eyes finally lifted from the computer screen to shoot Niall an irritated glare.

"Where are the crisps? The ice cream? Even bologna and cheese would suffice," Niall marveled with displeasure.

"First of all," Liam slid his chair back with a screech. "Bologna is filled with sodium and made with all the reject trimmings of a pig. Second of all, cheese is the product of a cow who has been raped to produce milk after her newborn is taken away from her."

"Shit. It was just a simple question. Why are you so triggered?" Niall taunted, throwing his hands up in defeat.

"I'm vegan," Liam disclosed with a growl. "That's why."