23 ⇢ Relentless

twenty-three ◌ relentless

twenty-three relentless

In hindsight, I was being too stubborn. My mind could not be swayed. My heart was set in stone, and I could not find it in me to trust Harry. This wasn't a gut feeling anymore. This was, relentlessly so, me. I deliberately searched for evidentiary claims to support my theories; to reinforce what I believed to be fact. But here's the rub: everything I was doing in these upcoming moments, were regrettably the worst decisions I could've ever made in my entire life.

It started with meandering eyes.

From my peripheral, I could see movement a few feet away from me as the presidential induction ceremony began. The floor lights dimmed to nothing, and a warm spotlight beamed across the tops of our heads to focus on the stage. When my head followed my eyes, I found Harry in a deep conversation with an all too familiar man and my heart dropped fifty feet. The dark stubble speckled across his jawline, the broad shoulders, and the eerie demeanor that trailed above him like brackish rainclouds, all added up to one person: Ken Feliz.

I clenched my fists as I snarled at the two men looking at each other with an agreeing gaze. Their hands met for a firm handshake, and then a brotherly hug. Observing them, I was no longer curious about their established relationship. I wanted no part of whatever cahoots Harry was a part of, and without question, I was completely depleted of any respect or trust I could give him.

So, I took matters into my own hands.

Liam stood diagonally before me during the presentation with a tray of champagne wielded out in front of him. With quick, shifty hands, I reached for his back waistband. I held my breath as my right arm reached forward, but before a finger could even graze Liam, he hastily gripped onto my wrist. He didn't flinch; didn't even look at me when his fingers grasped onto me like a lock and key.

"Tasha what are you doing?" Liam asked. I heard his whisper from my ear piece.

I didn't answer vocally, and instead, pressed forward with my original plan. I grabbed ahold of Liam's waistband and unclipped the tiny walkie hiding on the inside of his pants. I switched his coms off and held the device tightly in my hand.

"What the hell is up with you?" Liam growled lowly, eyeing me with suspicion.

Bending down, I reached beneath the hem of my dress. The flowing gown concealed the thick, athletic socks where my own communication gadget was snug. Flicking off the switch, no one could hear the following conversation.

"You have the access card right?" I questioned him.

"Yes," Liam told me with suspicion.

"You're coming with me," I wasted no time, and pulled Liam towards the back of the bank.

The lack of lighting on the main floor kept us in a perpetual shadow, however it didn't completely stop the guests from shooting us snide glares as we weaved our way through the fancy crowd.