24 ⇢ One Final Flicker

twenty-four ◌ one final flicker

I royally fucked up.

Though I didn't realize this at first, because I was a stubborn idiot. Everything Niall dished was entirely true. My grudge against Harry was too strong, my ego just as enormous, and my unfortunate disposition became a means for complete destruction. I had yet to forgive myself, and I don't think I ever could.

With the clock ticking down at rapid speed and a small window of time left, I had to make a decision. There were three vials in my hand and two of them needed to be mixed together. So, without sinking into an abyss of mental massacre by overthinking about the issue at hand, I simply chose two flasks. One, with light blue liquid sloshing around inside, and another with clear fluid.

"Tasha!"

"What?!"

I turned over my shoulder, responding to Liam's heavy voice reverberating against the walls.

"I've been trying to talk to you for the last several minutes!" He told me, irritation coating each word. "Did you figure out how to deactivate your coms again?"

"I took the ear piece out," I muttered. "Too much noise coming from the other end."

That last bit slipped from my mouth a little too salty than intended. I was clearly still annoyed with Niall, and clearly everlastingly pissed at Harry.

"Well, we're about to expect some unwanted company," Liam spoke with urgency as he updated me with his current status.

"What do you mean?" I questioned as I uncapped the glass bottles.

"I hear voices," Liam simply explained.

"Um, that might be a different problem, babe," I teased.

"No, I mean, I can hear people outside in the hall," Liam clarified.

"Do your best to apprehend them," I ordered, my tone instantly morphing from playful to serious. "I'm almost done up here."

"Ten-four," Liam replied, and with that, I continued on.

I uncapped both bottles and with extreme care, I poured the clear liquid into the blue one. Everything seemed to be fine as I examined the filled flask with scrutiny. Nothing bubbled atrociously, any odors were nonexistent, and my hands didn't explode from the chemical reaction. Taking a deep breath inwards, I poured the solution onto my father's neatly stacked cash.

Waiting for a moment, with eyes like a hawk, I stared at the dribbling liquid that saturated the paper money. Would there be an extreme chemical reaction? A fiery blast? It seemed all was well, until a clamorous bang rattled my ears and caused my body to shudder in terror.