4 ⇢ Mental Strength

four ◌ mental strength

four mental strength

It's mind boggling and mentally exhausting to contemplate the decisions we make as individuals. That every moment in our lives, no matter how tiny and insignificant, leads to many more moments. Cause and effect. That Thursday night in May, I let Niall drive me home after training. Normally, I free run the 1.5 miles to enjoy those minutes by myself. However, deciding to hitch a ride with Niall meant arriving to our penthouse three minutes earlier, and missing those three minutes would have altered this entire night.

"Kat," I breathed. I looked upwards, making out the shattered glass of our living room window. In the anarchic hub, I caught glimpse of a signature, black ponytail. She stood by the wide open window, surrounded by a group of people in all black.

I didn't have to think twice before I sprinted around the corner of my apartment building to the lobby doors. Quickly, I punched in the five-digit code into the keypad before the small light above the glass doors turned bright green, allowing myself access into the luxury building. I went straight for the corridor of elevators, punching the up-arrow button in a haste. The doors never opened, and the marquee that normally shined floor numbers wasn't on-- the elevators were out of service.

I ran.

I had no choice. Kat was in trouble and she needed my help. I knew that when she traded in her boxing gloves for a pair of pompoms it was a mistake. But cheerleading made her so fucking happy I couldn't argue with her; couldn't beg her to continue martial arts training with me. Nevertheless, my sister was resilient, and she was a fighter.

"I'm coming Kat."

I sprinted up the stairwell of my building, feeling nothing but adrenaline pump through my veins. The soreness I once felt in my muscles disappeared, and with each step, I garnered more physical energy to make it up twenty-one stories. The mental strength on the other hand, was a different story. I kept replaying Kat's scream over and over again, using it as motivation to find the thugs who had my sister.

It was on the tenth floor, did I distinctly hear the sounds of struggle echo in the stairwell. I could hear Kat's yelps mixed with a tornado of fury. I leaned over the railing, gazing up into the opening to find a blur of black, white, and metal.

"Just blast her on the side of the head to shut her up," the voice was deep and laced with anger, but they knew nothing about ire until coming face to face with me.

"Don't you fucking dare!" I charged at full force, kicking one of the men in the back. He slammed face-first against the opposing wall.

"Ate!" Kat called out, surprise painted all over her face. Her lip was cut open, blood flowing onto her chin, and her normally pristine hair was falling out of the rubber band that held a tidy ponytail.