Chapter 6

Chapter 6

            We spent one night in what I later learned were the cells under the mayor’s house. We were brought there blindfolded so that we wouldn’t know the entrances. There is a labyrinth of tunnels and long winding hallways to find your way through. Escape would be impossible. They came in early in the morning, blindfolded us again and tied our hands behind our backs. I had bruises on both my wrist from the previous night, and I found out from a scrap of mirror in my room that there was a long scrape on my cheek. After leading me down the maze of hallways, I was put in a dark room in the middle and heard the click of the door.  I sensed that there was a girl beside me, so I squeezed her hands which startled her.

            “Who are you?” I asked the mystery girl

            “Cali” She shakily responded

            “My father gave me instructions. Follow me out there and you’ll be fine.”

            Before she responded the door slammed open and the other girl was thrown in. She must have put up a bigger fight than me.  

            “Who are you” Cali asked

            “Summer.” She replied sternly. “Is the other girl here?”

            “Yes I am here and my name is Fedora.” I sneered

            “Don’t give attitude to the 24 year old. You have no idea how excited I was. Next year was my last year.”

            Timidly Cali responded “I’m sorry.”

            “Did you give me citations? No. So why are you sorry for me?”

            “She was being nice and you are being a bitch to her. If you aren’t looking for a decent conversation then shut up.” I snapped

            “How sweet, you think you are all tough because you used old swear words. You’re 13 and like a baby to me. I bet you never took survival skills at gazebo because you thought you wouldn’t need them.”

            After that I realized that I never had taken survival skills. It was recommended to all 13 year olds but I figured that I would never get chosen. Nobody expected to be chosen.

            “No I didn’t, but my father gave me some advice. If you can quit being so rude for 3 minutes I will tell you them.”

            “Your father could tell them in 1” She remarked

            “Never mind. Cali is coming with me, and you can die.” There was a pause for quite some time. I didn’t remember what Summer looked like, but I did remember her being pretty.

            Summer started to cry softly “Guys I’m sorry, I-I can’t imagine being taken away from my parents while I’m still living with them. I-I do want to stay with you and follow your father’s instructions.”

            “Don’t fake it, I already know your true colours” I snapped

            The door swung open with a bang and a man walked in by the sound of his boots. “Ladies you will now be taken out into the wild. We have prepared one bag each for you with clothes and supplies.”

            I looked around after they took off the blindfold to find that there was a big, long, vehicle with a cone at the front. There were 2 long wings with propellers, and room for about 4 people in it. It looked like the pictures in the history books of vehicles that were no longer useful for us. Yes those are also in the restricted section. I don’t know why we have such great books, but they are not available for people to look at.

            “What is that?” I asked the guard.

            “It will fly and take you to the wild. Don’t ask questions Ms. Par.”

            We got into the weird flying vehicle, and it made a creaky rumbling sound as the engine started. We were all blinded by a flood of bright light as the entire roof of the cavern opened up. The dome also opened up above us, which was not the way I expected us to exit. My stomach dropped as we propelled sharply upward and flew over the vastest body of water I had ever seen in my entire life.