Chapter 16

An unfamiliar tune floated through the air in the library. Another long afternoon of studying for my final exams of the semester was just about over, and I would be free at last. The last month had been nothing but parties and fun, so it was time to get back to business. Cramming was my middle name during exams, a habit I had taken with me from the domes.

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere you go," a soothing female chorus sang through the speakers. They were interrupted by the final bell, and the noise of many people shuffling to get outside.

Outside there was a rush of students exiting the mossy stone buildings. Excitement rang through the air, and when I looked up I found out why. Soft, tiny, flakes of cold, white, powder were falling from the sky. Couples kissed while it dotted their hair. All I wanted to do was get away from it.

"Violet! I called, frantically running into her house in the recreation district.

"Yes Hon?" She called back, running into the foyer, with concern on her face. Violet treated me like a sister, which I appreciated.

"The stuff! In the sky! What's up with that! It's freezing!" I panted

"Oh my gosh girl!" Laughed Violet. "The stuff is snow! And by the great earth, you need warmer clothes! That means we can go shopping!

"Vi, we can't go shopping whenever I don't know what something is. I would be broke."

"Good thing I have an unlimited tab!" She squealed excitedly. "Just let my call Rosa and Lily and Celina.."

"Hold up! I can't go out tonight. I have exams this week!" I protested

"Tonight? Who said anything about tonight?" I'm talking about now! And before you say ANYTHING, I'm not taking no for an answer."

"Fine, whatever, I guess I do need clothes..."

Three hours later "the girls" as we called ourselves, were sitting in a Cafe in the mall, dressed to the nines, with at least 3 bags each. I had gotten a coat, cute boots, and all of the essentials for what everyone called winter.

"Cutie." Rosa whispered, starting a guy finding contest.

"Damn girl he is miiiine."

"Shhhhhh he'll hear you!"

As the others laughed over the silly game, I heard a male voice talking in the distance. A voice I recognized.

"I'm going to... powder my nose." I said, excusing myself from the loud group.

I walked in the direction of the bathroom, only to change my path when I was out of sight. I needed to see who's voice I recognized. Once in earshot, I stood around the corner, a little ways down the hall from the voices, so I could hear and not be seen.

"She is no longer a problem Juan. Not after this month. The voice said.

"And how do you plan on carrying this out." a second voice asked

"Don't worry, I've got it covered. I am planning on recruiting someone very soon. But I have to have an excuse, and this one is terrible at not following instructions."

"Make it fast. I need her dead by winter solstice."

"Rodger that. Pleasure seeing you again."

"I wish I could afford the same pleasure. Until she is gone, you and I will not meet again."

"Of course Sir."

Before I could register the new information, the two men turned the corner and saw me. The one man pointed at me, and whispered. It was obvious they knew I was spying. I registered where I knew the voice from as they started running for me.