Chapter 4

Chapter 4

            “Welcome Oasis, welcome Fedora. Your place is front left, with the other 13 year old girls.” Said the host sweetly. The way she made it sound like this was just a nice little event made me want to spit.

            “Thank you.” Replied Oasis

            “What she said.” I replied

            “It’s not her fault we have to go through this Fedora; you could be a little nicer.”

            “Bite me” I sneered. We walked over to the front where there was at least a little elbow room. The stage was massive, with a wooden floor and small flowers decorating the base and pillars holding up the grey awning. Other than the flowers it was a depressing sight. Delta was so small that looking around, I recognised people even if I didn’t know them.

            “Shhhhhhhhhhhhh” whispered the girl beside me. She was a plump girl with stringy hair and less than perfect features. I really hoped for HER safety.

            “Welcome young Deltonians. As our founders have written it, The Book of Domes states that every year, on this day of August 2nd, I will draw 1 name from each ball behind Me.” he paused for effect, “every person from the ages 13 to 25 has a name in all 6 of the balls. From each of the gold balls I will pull safe names. These lucky young adults will be safe for 5 years. From one of the silver balls, I will pull one safe name, and one fate name. Finally, from each of the black balls, I will pull fate names. Any citations received during the past year will be one added name into the black balls. I will now read the golden safe names”

            It felt like the whole year had paused as the mayor reached in and grabbed the first name.

            “The first safe name is Cajun Pontoon. Mr. Pontoon of 13, you are safe until you are 19.”

            I couldn’t believe my ears. Cajun was so lucky to have been drawn! This was starting to be a great day indeed. I scanned the crown to find him or his family, but instead found my little rotten brother. His fuzzy blond head was quite hard to miss. Mom must have made him come. Or Dad. Probably Dad.

            “The second safe name is Kiki Soul. Ms. Soul of 21, you are no longer eligible for the Fate drawings as your 25th birthday will fall before your 5 years are complete.”

            Lucky girl, everyone wishes for the fate that Kiki just got. When I was a little girl she used to babysit me. “From the silver bowl, the third and final safe name is Carrie-Anne Monroe. Ms. Monroe of 17, you are safe until you are 23.”

            Everyone clutches to their friends, as this is the part that everyone fears all year. Fate day is a funny day. You can either be happy that you could be safe, or fret about being sent away. Then there is me, who refuses to feel emotion for these horrid events that mean nothing if you don’t let them

            “I will now draw the fate names. The first fate name is Cali Crest, 13.” The plump girl beside me goes ashen in the face and walks slowly up to the stage with her head held high. Ok, maybe she is a little pretty. But 13! She is so young, and had so much life to live.

            “The second fate name is Summer Barber, 24.” Another girl comes to the stage clutching her skirt. She looked like an average 24 year old; Long brown hair and brilliant blue eyes. Since she is over 20, she wears a long skirt instead of short.

            “The third fate name is Fedora Par, 13.”

            The world stands still and I hear a faint ringing in my ears, the only way I can tell that I’m conscious. I must have fell, because the older girl behind catches me and lifts me back up.

            “No!” whispered Oasis as she started to cry.

            I didn’t respond to her cry. The girl behind me gave me a little shove and a pat on the back, which brought me back to life. As I walked up the stairs to the stage and saw my all-female ashen companions, I really wondered what would happen to me now. What was beyond the dome?