It Wasn't Me

"Mom! Dad!"

A piercing shriek blared the sea of smoke that engulfed the tiny child who wandered around, lost and afraid. He crawled on the sweltering ground blindly as he felt the world around him collapse.

"Help! Please help!"

Jimin awoke with a loud cry; his body lurched upright in his bed, trembling for the first time in a while. The sound of people screaming - dying - still rung clearly in his head. Squeezing his eyes shut, the boy hung his head low and clenched his hair with both hands.

Stop shaking. You're strong now, you don't fear anything anymore.

But the screaming never stopped; it haunted him even in his sleep.

Go back home! See where your weakness has led you. Experience the pain everyone has gone through because of you. The voices were telling him, urging him to go back to the place where everything began.

But I have no home to go back to.

In the end, he gave up and complied. Moving almost sluggishly, Jimin got up, washed up, changed into his usual black clothing, and left his room. He didn't realize how tired he was beginning to feel as he plodded across the blank tiles of the headquarters.

"Hey Jimin, where are you going? I don't remember the boss giving you a mission today," someone exclaimed from behind, but Jimin couldn't find the strength to check who. He continued walking until he felt a hand on his shoulder, turning him around.

Taehyung looked down at him with worry etched all over his face. "Hey...are you alright? You look tired."

Jimin must've not noticed how there were dark bags under his eyes and how his whole demeanor just screamed for rest. He shook his head and pushed the other's hand gently off his shoulder.

"I'm fine...just going out for a bit." His voice was hushed and slightly weak.

"Hey Jimin, Taehyung!" Namjoon came bounding over with a large grin. He ruffled the shorter's hair and placed both arms over the boys' shoulders. "I'm not suspended from work anymore, so I can join you guys in your missions now. Isn't that great?"

Taehyung high-fived him with a grin of his own. "That's great, man! We need more people in our team now that there's a war around the corner."

Jimin nodded and escaped the older's grasp, feeling his mind continue to push him towards the direction he's supposed to go. "I'll be back, hyung, Tae..." Then, he left, leaving the two to stand in confusion.

"He called me hyung. Is he okay?" Namjoon asked as he watched the dark figure turn a corner.

"I don't know," Taehyung frowned, "but I think we should follow him."

-

Jimin took the train back, making sure he didn't look suspicious as he sat in the very back. His droopy eyes were trained on the moving scenery as he placed his chin on the palm of his hand.

"Chim Chim!" A little boy with doe eyes hollered across the field of flowers. The two boys collided and rolled on the grass, laughing uncontrollably and with so much joy that nothing could tear the smile of their faces.

"Kookie!"

The train slowed down to a stop, and Jimin snapped out of his daze. He stood and hobbled out the doors, stopping to observe the empty station. The entire landscape outside was bathed in the warm glow of the sun, fields waving in the wind with sentiment.