Chapter 1

It was a rainy dreary night in New York City. Derek Shepherd and his three year old daughter Josie just finished having dinner at their favorite little diner just around the corner from their home. Derek rarely has the night off due to his crazy work schedule, so he takes the opportunity to spend time with his daughter whenever he can. Josie rubs her eyes sleepily as Derek takes care of the bill. He had planned to take her on a walk around the neighborhood before they headed home, but he notices how tired she is.

"Hey sweetie how about we head home early and read a story before bed?" He asks her as he zips up her rain coat.

"But what about our walk Daddy?" She replies sweetly. She'll never admit how exhausted she is, so he thinks of an excuse to get her back home.

"You know, I'm sure Mommy really misses us. We can go another night I promise." He flips her hood up over her head, tucking her bright red hair behind her ears. He smiles at her lovingly. It never ceases to amaze him that he had a part in creating this beautiful, perfect little life.

"Can Mommy, read a story with us?" She asks excitedly.

"Of course she can, you ready?" He asks her before heading outside into the pouring rain.

"Ready." She answers, taking his hand. They duck their heads, shielding their faces from the rain as they walk down the side walk. When they reach their house Derek notices the front door is standing slightly ajar, the wooden entryway soaking wet. He stops at the bottom of the steps, worry creeping through him.

"Sweetie stay here."

"What's wrong Daddy?" Josie whimpers.

"I'm sure it's nothing baby, just wait here okay?" She nods, fear glowing in her bright blue eyes. He creeps up the steps, his heart pounding in his chest. He hears a thud upstairs. As he heads toward the stairs he notices a man's shirt hanging on the banister. Other various articles of clothing are sprawled all over the steps. Anger erupts through him, the fear that was radiating through him suddenly gone. He goes back to the front door.

"It's okay, come here." He calls to Josie softly. He motions for her to come inside. "Daddy's gonna go upstairs, I need you to stay down here okay?" She nods. "Go play in the living room, I'll be down soon." She takes off happily, completely unaware that her whole world was about to fall apart. Derek storms up the stairs, collecting the clothes as he goes. He approaches his bedroom door slowly, praying with every inch of his being that he's wrong, that Addison is not going to be naked in that bed..his bed with another man. He hears her giggle as he takes the last few steps to the door. He kicks open it open, infuriated, but when he see's what's inside all of the anger floods away, complete and utter despair filling it's place. He stares at them, his mind unable to processes the hurt he's feeling. Not only was his wife in bed with another man, she's with the last man he ever would have expected to see, Mark Sloan. His bestfriend. His brother.

"Derek!" He cries. Scrambling away from his best friends naked wife.

"How could you!" Derek screams, throwing their clothes at them.

"Derek, please." Addison cries.

"No..No!" He screams. He turns away from them, running back down the stairs.

"Josie, go get your things."

"Where are we going Daddy?" She asks, the emotion in her fathers voice worries her. He squats down in front of her.

"We're gonna go on a little trip, okay?" He swallows hard, using everything he has in him to hold back tears.

"Is Momma coming?" She asks innocently.

"No baby." He sobs. "Mommy's not coming."

"Derek you can't do this!" Addy cries. She stands wrapped in a sheet at the bottom of the stairs.

"JoJo go, now. Daddy will be right behind you." She stays in her place looking back and forth between her parents, terrified to move. "It's okay sweetie go ahead."  He encourages. She runs up the stairs right past her mother and her Uncle Mark. She doesn't understand what's happening, but she obeys.

"Derek please! You can't take her from me! You can't!" Addison cries hysterically.

"Come on man, that's her kid." Mark butts in.

"Don't! Don't you dare! That was my wife! My bed! My home! And that didn't stop you!"

"Was?" Addy mutters, her face red and swollen from crying.

"We're done Addison." He replies hopelessly.

"No! We can fix this! We're Addison and Derek, we're a team!"

"Not anymore." He says in a sigh, he's too drained to even argue with her. Josie comes down the stairs, a tiny pink backpack slung over her shoulder. Her teddy bear squeezed tightly in her arms. Her little eyes are full of fear and confusion as she passes her mother once again, this time going straight to her father.

"We'll be back for the rest of our things." Derek practically whispers.

"Derek please!" Addison pleads. "I'm sorry, it was a mistake. Please! I-I'll do anything just please not Josie, don't take my baby!" Derek lifts Josie into his arms. She buries her head into the crook of his neck, her warm tears soaking into his shirt as she cries. Addison grabs onto her, trying to pull her away from him. Josie clings to him, sobbing hysterically now.

"Daddy!" She screams, terrified. She's never seen her parents like this, never been grabbed in such a way. She can't even begin to wrap her head around it all. All she can do is cry.

"Addison stop! You're hurting her!" Derek yells.

"Addison, let her go." Mark says quietly, placing a hand on Addison's arm. She drops to her knees, tears flowing down her cheeks. Derek wraps his arms around his daughter, walking to the door. Josie's breathes are fast and heavy as she watches her mother crumbled on the floor getting further and further away.

"This is on you Addison...you did this...to her...to us." He takes one last look around his house then walks out into the pouring rain, leaving the ruins of his family behind.