Chapter 4

Race looked around at the other boys. They were all asleep. He slowly got down from his top bunk and crept out of the room. 

Crutchie woke up to the door closing. He saw that Race was gone from his bed. Cautiously, he stepped off his bed and grabbed his crutch to help him stand up. He stepped off his bed, using his crutch to help him stand up. He closed the door softly behind him and whispered loudly "Race?"

Race stopped in his tracks. Oh man, Crutchie could tell Jack and then he'd be busted for sure... "Hey Crutch, I'm just headin out fo' some fresh air. Can't sleep you know?" He said awkwardly

"Okay..." Though it was just lit by faint moonlight, Crutchie could tell by Race's face, that he was up to something. 

"Jus' go back to sleep, there's nothin goin on. I'll be back soon." Race waved his hand forward as to brush Crutchie off his case.

"Alright, but don't you go gettin' in no trouble or Jack'll have my head too," Crutchie said in a warning tone.

"You can get away with anything when it comes to Jack. You're his favourite." 

"Promise me?"

"Fine, I'll be careful." Race rolled his eyes

"Alright. Night."

"Night Crutch"

Crutchie went back into the room and lied down on his bed, causing Jack to wake up.

" 'eh Crutchie, yous alright?" Jack poked his head down from the top of the bunk, causing Crutchie to jump.

"Yeah. I's fine. Night Jack."

"Night." Jack decided not to push it.

Meanwhile, Race was making his way towards the corner of 11th street and 49th Avenue. He had a long walk and it was late at night, but he had a huge dorky smile spreading across his face. Once or twice, he almost started giggling a bit.

An hour and a half later of walking, he arrived at his destination. He made a whistle noise with his hands like those bird calls.

He stopped and listened. One called back from somewhere to his right. He smiled wide and followed the noise, calling again, and getting a response again.

He walked down an alley to the end of it, much out of the dark. He knocked on a wall 3 times and a figure popped out from behind a pile of crates. 

Race was practically beaming. "It's been too long"

They embraced and he pecked the other person on the lips. They replied. "Sure has, Racey"

"Racey? That's a new one!" He giggled 

They both moved into the light again. Race was with a shorter boy who was a little tanned and had shorter brown hair. He laughed a little. "I mean, we can get racey if ya knows what I mean."

Race laughed. "Spot, you wouldn't dare."

"You wanna find out?" He smirked.

Race laughed and wrapped his arms around Spot's neck. He leaned in for a kiss, but a bright light shined on them, causing them to jump apart. 

They heard a voice saying "I found what caused the noise complaint last week. Come here, John."

Not even a second later, they climbed up onto a trash can and hopped over the wall behind them that thankfully wasn't very high. They took off running together. 

Eventually, Race stopped, causing Spot to slow down and turn back to him. They both knelt over, trying to catch their breath. Eventually, they did and Spot started laughing. Race, in turn, joined him.

"That was wild." Spot shook his head.

"Yeah, but I came here to get some and I don't plan on leaving my boyfriend in the same situation." Race smirked.

Spot shook his head. "Now you're really asking for it"

When Race showed back up at the lodging house, it was around 4 in the morning. He woke Crutchie up again, for he's a really light sleeper as of late. Crutchie saw the funny way Race was walking and the dreamy look on his face and knew exactly what Race was doing. He honestly had no idea with who, but he decided not to think about it too much. He rolled over in annoyance at being woken up and tried to get at least one more hour of decent sleep before the bell.

Sprace chapter because every Newsies fanfic has at least one. Also because plotline is about to finally start.  The book is gonna be mostly about Crutchie and Jack though don't worry if you don't ship Sprace (but honestly who doesn't?) Anywayyyys Have a good night Kids. Don't do school, stay in drugs.
word count: 708