Chapter 9

The next evening, all the boys were playing go fish again. 

Race smiled slyly and put his cigar in his mouth. "Romeooo, got any 8s?"

Romeo angrily handed over three eights.

"Woah! Race, you're merciless!" Jack laughed.

"  's why he can't ever get a girlfriend," Romeo grumbled.

"  'scuse you honey, this is about go fish, not your dreary sex life." Race said, actually partially offended, but not letting on to that.

"Race, got any 2s?" Romeo asked, over it by now.

"Go fish." Race laughed.

Crutchie smiled, "Romeo, give those 2s!" Romeo groaned again and handed over two 2s.

Crutchie slapped down four twos. "Woah, and the Crutch-master's on a roll!" Jack said, ruffling the smaller boy's hair. 

Crutchie chuckled,  "I'm gonna head to bed, yous can play another round if you want."

"Nah, I'm pretty beat." Elmer said. A few other boys added in their two cents and everyone headed to their beds. 

Right as Crutchie was almost out the window, Race walked over to them. "Hey, I has something to tell you guys."

"Alright, come out with us." Jack said and motioned to the window.

Race instantly started laughing and almost fell on the floor. Crutchie and Jack looked confused, but then Crutchie got it and almost fell out the window. Jack had to catch him. 

"What?" Jack asked, still confused. Crutchie and Race waved him off, and their laughter died down.

Eventually, they all made it out onto the fire escape, Crutchie sitting on the ground, Jack leaning against the rail, and Race sitting on one of the rails, though secure enough as to not fall off.

"Alright, in all seriousness, what's up?" Crutchie asked.

"There's a new lodging house in Brooklyn area. It targets gay kids specifically, so there isn't a real good way to shut it down."

"Dammit." Jack ran his fingers through his hair and kicked one of the rails. Crutchie looked up at Jack with a frown. 

"Where'd you hear this?" Crutchie asked. 

"Spot told me. I went to Brooklyn last night." Race said, nodding.

"Hang on, whats you doin' in Brooklyn meetin Sp- Ohh" Jack realised with wide eyes.

"You an' Spot?" Jack asked, his hand out for emphasis.

Race nodded. 

"Spot, I shouldda guessed!" Crutchie flopped back. 

"Hang on you knew?" Jack turned to Crutchie.

"Only that he was meetin someone, probably a boy too." Crutchie sat up.

"An' you didn't tell me?" Jack frowned

Crutchie shrugged.

Jack rolled his eyes. "Alright, thanks, Racer. I'll be on the lookout about that. Unless they spread here, no use worryin' the fellas." He motioned back into the room where many of the boys were crawling into their beds.

"See ya Jack, Crutchie. Sleep well." Race left out the window back to his bed.

Jack still looked worried. "Come on, Jack. Let's just go to bed. No real reason to worry 'less they make their way out here."