Chapter 5

"Government shut down in China! Read all about it!" Jack was shouting. It was one of those days- make something up and say whatever you must to sell the papes.

Once he managed to sell his last paper, he took his hat off to wipe his forehead. It was a hot August day out. As soon as he set it back on his head, he heard a voice call his name.

"Jack?"

He looked in the direction of the voice to see Katherine. "Jack!"

"Hey! Katherine. What brings you here?" Jack is happy to see her, but almost wished he didn't. He had tried to suppress his uh feelings by pretending to like her, but he felt like he was using her and left.

"I'm looking for you silly!" She walked over to him.

"The star reporter looking for ol' Jack Kelly?"

"Jaaack" She whines. "I thought we had something, but then you just left. I'm not going to push you or anything, but at least allow me to invite you to my place to catch up."

Jack thought for a minute. It's not like anything would happen just by going to her house... "I'd be honored."

"Good, because I am not taking no for an answer." She smiled.

They talked the whole way to her place. Jack found out that she got a regular job with the newspaper that was not directly under her father. She was doing really well.

Meanwhile, Crutchie was sitting by the door of the lodging-house anxiously.

"I'm sure he's jus' sellin his last papes, you know how Jack is." Specs was trying to comfort him.

"Yeah, don't you go worryin'. He'll show up t'morrow like normal." Race poked his head out from the supplies room.

"I guess. Thanks, guys, but I'm just gonna wait here a bit longer." Crutchie smiled wide. Race looked back at Romeo and they shook their heads but left him alone.

Jack was still smiling as he approached the lodging house. He opened the door, still in his own head. As soon as he saw Crutchie on the floor, his smile fell. Before he could wake him up, he sat up on his own.

"Jack!" Crutchie smiled

"What?"

"Where on earth were you?" He stood up, worried.

"Oh, I ran into Katherine, so I went to her place for tea." Jack said, smiling.

"Oh." Crutchie's smile fell, "as long as you're safe."

He turned to go up to his bed.

"Crutchie?" Jack called after him.

"It's fine Jack." Crutchie didn't even turn back.

Jack looked really upset. When he got up to the room, Crutchie wasn't in his bed.

"Where's Crutch?" He asked. No one was sleeping anyways.

Romeo poked his head out from his bottom bunk. "He went out onto the roof. He looked real sad and wasn't replying. I thinks he wants to be alone."

Jack sighed and climbed up on his top bunk, but didn't catch a wink of sleep.

Crutchie was up on the rooftop crying. He knew Jack was going to get together with Katherine and he had no chance. He decided it best to just suppress everything he may or may not have felt for Jack. He wiped his tears and lied down, but he ended up crying silently the rest of the night.

The next morning, Crutchie got up early to get in front line for the paper. He needed a distraction. He bought his papers and was heading out when Jack yelled after him " Morinin Crutchie!"

He kept walking, causing Jack to sigh in defeat. What Jack didn't see was the tears silently falling down Crutchie's face as he walked away from him.

Similar things happened for the next two days. Jack couldn't stand it, and the rest of the boys couldn't stand seeing Jack and Crutchie. Specs called a meeting with Jack to try to figure out what he did.

"I really just don't know. He's been actin all weird since I got back late that one time." Jack said, exasperated.

"he's acting like you cheated on him or something" Race joked

Jack shot him a look, but then paled as a look of realisation washed over his face. "Ohh." He suddenly rushed to the rooftop.

"What was that all about?" Race turns to the other boys.

They all groan. "I mean, it's not like..." Race eyed the others.

"Sometimes you need to know when to shut up," Specs said from his top bunk as he threw his hand up.

Sorry for no update yesterday, I was writing this one and was only able to get this far as of yesterday. I thought I'd publish a longer one today instead since I didn't like this stopping point, but it was too long in the end. Anyways here's yesterdays chapter published late for no real reason.

Thanks for reading though! I had twenty reads and then they doubled in a day! You guys are also in luck because this is the most consistent I've ever been on a story.

If anyone has any ideas or hopes for this story, let me know, I'm open.

Word lock: 750