Chapter 1

It was Reaping day.  One of the main events leading up to the Hunger Games. I was not of age to enter, so I was not that worried about it. I was intrigued. The games is the biggest thing in our country. If you win, you are bathed in riches and glory! That's all anyone wants. It's what I wanted. My mom thinks I'm still too young to understand all this, even though I start my training in a few days. "Cato?"

"Yes mom?"

"Do you know why we gather here every year?"

"No. Why do we?"

"Well, the Capitol hosts these things called the Hunger Games. We gather here, because; they have to pick one boy and girl from the ages of 12-18 to be in these Games. Now we come from District 2, which is one of the wealthier districts. When you are 12, which you are going to be 12 in a few weeks, you will start Training. You train to see what you are good at. Then, when you are 18 you either volunteer, or you will get picked."

"Oh. Wow. Sounds complicated, but okay. " I feel bad lying to my mom, but I try to keep her mind at ease as much as I can.  The man that picks the people from the glass bowl walked up to the microphone. "Welcome!!! Welcome!!! Happy Hunger Games!!!! May the odds be Ever in your favor!!! Let's start with the girls."

He walked over to a glass bowl and swirled his hand around before finally picking a paper and pulling it out. "Serena Jackson!" She looked to be about 16 or 17. She looked strong, and her bright green eyes showed she didn't care whether she was in these Games or not.

"Now for the boys!!!!" I was an only child so I didn't have to worry about any siblings to worry about. He walked back up to the mic and unfolded the paper. "Seth Jackson!!" What? Were they siblings? "Well, are you guys siblings?"

"Yes we are. We are proud of it to. The only problem is, we love each other to much to kill each other," said Serena."Now don't worry. You probably won't have to, unless, you are the only two people left in the arena. "

"Yes we know."

"Well, then. May the Odds be Ever in your Favor!!" They led them into the Justice Building and we left. "Mom, where do people go to train?" She pointed to a big grey building. "Over there."

"Okay. I wonder what I will be good at."

"Who knows. We will just have to wait and see. Come on. We have to get you registered so you can start training in a few days."

"Okay." We walked inside and they was a hole line of weapons. People were in different stations already training. I saw a girl that looked to be about my age with long brownish black hair and bright emerald green eyes. I decided to go talk to her. "Hey! I'm Cato."

"Clove. Are you registering to start training soon?"

"Ya. You?"

"Ya. I really don't know what I'm good at. Do you Cato?"

"Nope. I will find out soon enough though. I'm probably going to start training next week or the week after."

"Cool!! I think I'm starting next week also."

"Awesome!!!"

"Cato let's go!!!"

"Coming Mom!!!! Sorry Clove. I have to go. See you next week or something!!!"

"Okay Bye!!!" She seemed very nice. I hope we can be friends. I think we already are though. "Who were you talking to?"

"A girl named Clove. She is starting the same time I am I think."

"There you go, it seems you already have a friend now."

"I guess I do." I took a quick glance over my shoulder, and mouthed bye again to Clove and she did the same. I left the training center and went home with my mom and dad. 

My mom made her famous turkey gravy along with a turkey. "Cato?"

"Yes mom?"

"You are going to get two little brothers soon."

"I am!?"

"Yup!!" I knew something was weird with mom because her stomach had gotten a lot bigger. I just didn't know why. "You will also be starting training next week on Monday."

"Okay Mom." We continued eating and then I went to go clean up. "Cato, don't forget to clean you room."

"Yes mom. I won't."

"Good."I went upstairs washed and got started on my room.

A few minutes later my mom called me down stairs saying someone was at the door.  I went and saw that Clove was there with her mom I think. "Hey Cato!"

"Hey Clove!!"

"This is my mom. Mom this is Cato. Cato this is my mom."

"Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you to Cato. My daughter said she met you earlier in the Training Center."

"Ya. My mom went to register me and I just went over to talk to her. Is there a problem?"

"Oh No! I just wanted to meet you."

"Oh okay. Please, do come in."

"Thank you."

"Mom this is Clove, and this is her mother."

"Very nice to meet you Clove and her mother."

"You can call me Helen. Helen O' Malley."

"Very nice to meet you. Cato you can take Clove outside if you want, or show her around the house."

"Okay Mom! Come on Clove."  We ran upstairs and ran into my room. "Sorry it's a wreck. I've been cleaning."

"Oh it's fine. My room is a mess also!" We started cracking up laughing. "I wonder who are partners are going to be?"

" What do you mean Clove?"

"You didn't hear?"

"No"

"Well, each person gets one partner to train with. It's the new rule."

"Oh! I hope I get you. I don't want anyone else."

"I want you to be my partner also. Most of the others are really stuck up."

"Ya. When do we find out who we get?"

"Tomorrow I think. Then we start training on Saturday."

"Cool!!"

"Clove!! Cato!!!!"

"COMING," we both yelled. We were laughing and talking all the way down. "Clove it's time to go."

"Okay mom. Bye Cato!"

"Bye!" She hugged me and then she left. "You two seem to be really good friends," my mom said with a smile. "Well, ya. We have a lot in common. Why are you smiling like that."

"Oh nothing."

"Mom?"

"Cato, it's nothing okay? Just go finish your room."

"Okay." I kept wondering why she was smiling like that. It was really weird. I continued cleaning my room and finally finished. Then I went outside to walk around for awhile. I went to the Meadow. I always went there. I sat on my rock. It wasn't really mine, that's just where I always sat. I felt like someone was watching me, but no one there. My blond hair was blowing around in the wind. I heard rustling and knew someone was there. "Whose there!?" There was a silence so I stood up and walked over to where I hear it. "Whose there!?"

"Sorry it's me."

"Clove? What are you doing here?"

"I come here all the time and I saw you here and didn't want to bother you."

"You come here to?"

 "Ya. I come here all the time. It's away from my family and my over-protective mother."

"I come here because it's so quiet and beautiful."

"Ya it is." 

"Here come on." I went back to the rock and sat down. She sat down next to me. We talked on and on until the sun went down. Then we went home.