A/N _ Explanation of the 1800s

So basically, in 1800s Europe, where Avalon is ideally supposed to be, every youth, generally above the age of 18 came out into society to participate in balls, dinners, luncheons, operas etc. to find their life partner. The balls etc. generally happened in summer, thus it was known as ones 'season' out. 

A girl of noble line had Ladies in waiting, cousins or siblings appointed to help her woo a man into becoming her husband. Ladies in Waiting are (ideally) not supposed to accept a man's advances as it lessens one suitor for their participating girl, but I guess it shouldn't count if your participating girl's brother likes you ;)

When you are having your first season out, you are a debutante.

All this fluff is reserved for upper middle and noble classes.

 Middle classes have their own seasons while the season arranged by the queen, also called the court, is reserved for nobility, with only one entrance per house of a noble.

Having Royal twins out is kind of a big deal as every participating girl has a chance at becoming queen one day and every participating guy can establish strong ties with the royal house by marrying the Princess (although atlas for next 2 generations , his descendants won't be able to woo the kids of the Prince in fear of cousin incest.) If the Prince dies without bearing heirs, the Princess' husband will become the de facto next in line for throne.

You usually last only as debutante unless you are exceptionally dumb.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for now.

If you have any questions regarding this, ask by commenting here.