Dancing with the Prince

"Ugh. At least I win the bet with Mina"

"Hmm, you bet on whether I would ask you or not? That really just accelerates the speed with which I am falling for you, you know." he says, as we waltz across the floor, as every single debutante except Mina( who is smirking at us) bores holes into my back with her eyes. 

"Don't flatter yourself flirt. I had put a bet on the fact that you were not pragmatic enough to ask your sister to be your first dance."

"Ah well, that was the initial plan. But I couldn't resist your charms."

I snorted in the most unladylike manner, and as he twirled me, I saw the respected  King and Queen of Avalon looking at us with the dreamiest expression possible, and suppressed the burning urge to throw a glare their way.

"Why me?", I asked.

"Hmm, always down to the point. You are the most gorgeous woman in this room."

"I beg to differ, Prince."

"I believe a man would have superior taste in women than a lady, don't you think so?"

I held back the blush that threatened to burst through my 'bored expression' mask. I was at court, a sophisticated vipers nest. I couldn't afford to betray my true emotions.

"Cut the crap, let's get down to business" 

"Oooh, she swears. Fiesty. I like it. But not all your charms will work darling. You are hiding a shitload of things, including your identity. Tell me the truth. We can take this the easy way, or the hard way."

"Dear Prince Dirty mouth, I have been prohibited from revealing anything to you, by your mother.", and as I said this, I threw the fakest smile I could muster, the royal couple's way.

Seeing this, he said, "Why such hostilities?"

"Oh, you will learn. The point is, if you are as smart as rumour says you are, you must have realised that rebellion is brewing, one much stronger than the one that had occurred twenty years ago. You have to look after yourself and choose wisely among the debutantes, as to who is your enemy and who is your friend. You have been warned."

"Are you threatening me?"

"No Prince. Simply advising you. I am on your side, you know."

"Oh. Then rest assured that I already have made up my mind on who my bride to be is.", he said, adding his signature smirk.

All I could get out was an "Oh", as pain ripped my heart, as though someone had pierced my chest with a dagger, then twisted it when it was through and through. No no no no no no, I couldn't be falling for his ridiculous charms,........could I?