Debutantes

Sasha's dress

                                                                                    Sasha's dress

Mina and I were both decked up to got to Queen Isabella's tea party, with Mina complaining under her breath that even though she was the princess, I got to wear the better dresses.

Apparently, only participants were invited, but the Queen gave her daughter the favour of bringing along her lady in waiting. The keyword here is favour.

As we  settled down at the table in the Queen's personal  garden, I noticed Ashley Burgoise had worn a rather flamboyant and revealing gown for a morning tea party with one's prospective mother in law.

She jabbered on,"Ooh, I have dressed up for the prince. My charms are already irresistible for him, this would only add on to it. He asked me to dance twice with him last night you know. He was asking about my father. I am sure the fortune is incentive enough. After all, the house of Burgoise is the richest and our Duchy the most  beautiful in all of Avalon."

At this, I could not hold my tongue. "I think you should get your facts corrected, Ashley. The house of Williams is the richest and the Duchy of Ferria the most beautiful."

My raised volume  had grabbed the Queen, aka Aunt Izzy's attention.

"That crackpot old fool Stephen is of no use, any way. He doesn't have a child, and frankly speaking, even if he did , his issue could not be competition to me", Ashley had the daring to answer, making my blood boil.

"Enough Lady Burgoise  . I think you should finish your breakfast back in your suite in the participants wing. Oh and Sasha, I had saved you the seat beside me, where family belongs ", said aunt Izzy.

"Winters, that little witch. Bet she is involved with that old toad of Ferria.", murmured Ashley.

"I said enough, Miss Burgoise. And you are barred from events till two days after", aunt Izzy said, in her commanding Queen tone.

Ashley stormed into the castle as I sat down beside the woman who had been closest to a mother to me.

"Sorry you had to hear all that dear. But that is court for you. You just have to understand how not to let them affect you. That is your job as Queen, you see, now that you seem to be falling for my  little boy"

I rolled my eyes although colour tinged my cheeks, choosing only to reply with a "Seriously?".

In general, by the looks of hostility that the participants, more like debutantes were throwing my way, I realised that I didn't have many friends here, especially due to the object of their affections paying attention to me