An invitation to the opera

He raised his eyebrows.

" That means you were too, Williams."

I gasped. But I realised that was not of importance right now. Shrugging, I said," Yes, I was . And I heard something."

"What?"

Looking around, I raised myself onto my tiptoes.

"Are you kissing me my lady "

"Shut your trash can," I said, my cheeks burning.

Then I whispered into his ear," Burgoise has got French arms and Vitticlarian support."

It was now his turn to gasp.

"But... but. Ugh, we can't even raid his mansion. If we don't find the stuff, we will be turning all nobility against us."

"True "

"So practically all we can do is wait for the attack?"

"I can ask father to secure support from neighbouring Kholmland. My maternal grandmother was a Kholm princess."

"Aha, so you are the rumoured child of Lord and Lady Williams. Not that I would have liked you any less, but it would take time to explain to the subjects that their future Queen was the illegitimate child of the most powerful duke of the kingdom."

Blushing, I said,"You know what, you should court Ashley. If you marry her, Burgoise won't attack. "

"Ashley is the sixth of Burgoise's twelve children, born illegitimate, legitimated after he married her mother after the death of his first wife due to 'unknown reasons', and the least loved, actually most loathed child of Burgoise. She's trying her mother's seduction methods with me. I am not going to risk my chance at love for being pragmatic."

The 'l' word made my stomach flip.

"So you're gonna keep my identity a secret right?"

"Whatever you say , princess."

"You know, keep four horses, emergency food, clothes and armaments at disposal for urgent situations. You never know what might happen "

"Hmm. Now let's talk about us." he said 

He was looking at me so intensely, I think he didn't even hear me.

"What about us?"

He pulled me close by my hand and I giggled. This man is driving me crazy. I never giggle.

"About how you are coming to tonight's opera with me."

"I am?"

"Yes," he said, getting a letter invite out of his coat.

"You have the Prince's invite. You are my date, my chosen one,"

I could only stare into his eyes, speechless,  when someone cleared their throat.

We both jumped away and I looked back to see Edward's best friend, the Duke of the duchy of Le Bel, the one at the French border.

"Lord Damien Hughes," I curtsied.

"Lady Winters," he said, stressing on Winters.

I instantly looked at Edward, anger flooding through me .

"I think I should leave now. I feel under the weather and I think I will not attend the opera."

And I turned on my heels and without so much as a goodbye, stormed into the palace.

Edward ran after me. In the gown, I was no match for him.

He soon caught up and held my hand. "Edward, let me go.  You didn't respect my privacy. You told him about my secret, you told him!!"

"No I didn't Princess, I swear I didn't."

"Why should I believe you?"

"Please princess. We need to trust each other for this to work out. "

With that, I broke down in his arms as he embraced me

" I am scared Ed, I-"

"Say that again darling!"

"Wha- oh, Ed?"

"Again," he said, smiling .

"Ed"

"Again "

"Ed"

"Again "

"Shut up!" I said, laughing and kissing his nose tip. 

He brushed away my tears as I blushed to resemble a tomato.

Then he kissed my cheek.

"I think I should get going, " I said.

"So am I going single tonight or are you coming to share my torture of talking with the air headed nobles?"

"I couldn't let you suffer alone, could I?" I said, as I ran across the corridor towards Mina's suite, looking back to wink at my Prince Charming.