Chapter 15:

Sky's POV:

I smiled as I walked into the barn. The first day off lessons had been great, and now the second day was looking to be the same.

Trail ride day!

I had dressed in my fav clothes for trail riding. Goode Rider™ Jean Rider Knee-Patch Breech in camouflage colour, an old red tight fit long sleeve shirt from Walmart and my worn brown Blundstone Cuthbertson Paddock Boot with matching brown half chaps.

Today we would be riding our horses through the trails, letting them cool in the shallow creek, tie them after so they wouldn't run off, so we were bring our halters and lead lines. Then we would lay in the grass and talk, learn more about each other, and-my personal favourite, taking a few jumps on the way there and back.

I entered the barn and went straight for the tack room first. I gathered Onyx's trail riding tack. A Marcel Toulouse Platinum Sienna All-Purpose Saddle with a Lettia Coolmax® ICE pad saddle pad in teal with black and silver lining. An HDR Pro "Stress Free" Fancy-Stitched Padded Bridle with a flash noseband, Onyx couldn't wear any bridle without a flash, because then he would think we could get away with anything. All-Purpose Galloping Boots in burgundy, front and ankle and black Fleece-Lined Bell Boots completed the collection.

Carrying my tack back to Onyx's stall, I set it down on the many hooks and holders not only on the stall, but on the wall as well.

" Onyx... " I called softly.

After a few seconds, Onyx stuck his head out and looked over at me. He sniffed my shirt, bobbing his head when the familiar scent of the trail hit him. He nicker, bumping my arm with his muzzle, almost throwing me off balance.

I laughed. " Okay okay, I know you know where we're going, but hold on so I can at least get you out of your stall " I told him as I grabbed a green cotton lead line off a hook and opened the stall door. Just as I clipped it to the ring under his halter, Onyx took off.

" Whoa! " I called, trying to hold him back, but he kept trotting, tail held high.

" Hey! " I heard someone call. I gave the lead line a sharp tug and Onyx finally came to a stop. I immediately turned him and put him back in his stall. " Now your in a time out mister, and your getting tacked up in here " I told him as I shut the door. He snorted and put his head down, ears flicking back.

" Pouting won't help " I said as I turned, seeing who Onyx almost ran over.

Payton was tying Jazz up in the cross-ties. The liver chestnut mare seemed a bit more high strung today, her head raised and her ears pricked forward.

" What's up with the horses today? " I asked as I leaned against the stall door.

Payton shrugged. " I know right, Jazz is usually so calm and collected, now she's acting like your hyper head strong Arabian " she replied.

I clenched my jaw, wanting to say something back to her so badly...but instead, I took some advice from my mom and decided to be the bigger person.

I shrugged back. " It was a little chillier this morning for summer, maybe the change in temperature made the horses more excited, or maybe its the fact that we didn't have a lesson today "

" That could be it. Jazz is used to a more...thorough workout then the one I gave her yesterday, after our trail ride I'll probably do a quick Dressage test with her and work on our freestyle, then take some low jumps and put her to bed " Payton explained.

I nodded. " You sure she won't be too tired after a day of jumping and galloping on the trails? " I asked. I knew Onyx wouldn't be too tired afterwards, but I'd let him rest in his stall, then maybe do a bit of flatwork with him, since the cross courses were closed for inspection. Before and after shows held here, J.O.P.S got a few eventing judges and course designers to come and check out the jumps. I suddenly realized with a harsh reality check that the show was coming up in 2 and a half weeks!