Chapter 19:

Sky's POV:

" I think I'm gonna puke " I said as I tightened Onyx's Stubben Equi-Soft® Dressage Girth with Sheepskin Back with shaky fingers.

The sun was just starting to rise at 7:30 in the morning, but our team had been up since 5.

J.O.P.S was crawling with activity. After the trot up, which, thankfully all our horses passed, riders were getting their horses groomed and tacked up, coaches were giving last minute pep talks to their pupils and parents filled the stands that had been set up 3 days in advanced. The teams all had matching colours that represent each province. Mixes of blue, orange, yellow, green, gold, pink, purple, even some brown were flashing by, in and out of trailers, the barn and arenas. The team that looked like it would be the hardest to beat was Alberta. They had marched in, no joke, single file and in unison, like they were an army and had disappeared into the boarders barn.

Jewel and I couldn't resist quickly looking up each member on the team on our phones after we had seen them and there was one girl who had caught our eyes right away.

Taylor Hunt. Payton had told me she had tried out for the Canadian Equestrian team for the London Olympics, but she didn't make it, apparently she muscled her horse too much and was a real rough rider. Taylor was going to be in the same Cross-Country class as me, Jewel and Marlo...joy...

" I know right! I mean have you seen the horses on the British Columbia team, they're huge! One of them had to be at least 18 hands! " Payton replied, bringing me back to reality.

" And Saskatchewan, I heard one of their horses was specially leased from Europe just to compete! " Blaire told her.

" No surprise there " Jewel replied as she rechecked Shadows polo wraps and bell boots. " This is one of the biggest Canadian Equestrian events of the year, people go all out "

" But we can beat them " Marlo added as Marco threw his head.

Onyx had his head lifted high, he was checking out the other horses as they walked by. I was happy Marlo had suggested getting the horse ready away from the barn, it was keeping Onyx more calm then he's even been during show grooming and tack up.

Jewel and Caitlyn were the first ones done and they mounted.

" Want us to wait for you? " Caitlyn asked us as she adjusted the stirrups of her Steffens Advantage Buffalo Single Flap Dressage Saddle, which she had paired with a Carl Hester Rolled Weymouth Double Bridle, a white Mattes Euro-fit dressage pad and Acavallo Sheepskin Massage pad. Each saddle pad for every rider competing had our numbers, province and stable name on them.

Marlo suddenly started laughing. " Aren't you two forgetting something? " she asked.

I followed her gaze and saw that Caitlyn and Jewel still had their sweats and team jackets on. I started laughing now, while Jewel and Caitlyn just stared at us, confused.

" I don't think they'll let you ride in sweatpants and team jackets " I told them, laughing even more when they both looked down at themselves, their faces going red.

They quickly dismounted and stripped off the extra layers, revealing the Dressage show clothes we had bought when we went out on our shopping spree.

Once they remounted, they waited for Blaire before the three of them all trotted away, towards the intermediate Dressage warm up arena.

" Good luck! " Marlo, Payton and I had called to them before removing our cover clothes and mounting our own horses. Onyx snorted as I sat down gently in his Stübben Genesis CL saddle, which I only used in shows and adjusted the reins of his Carl Hester Rolled Snaffle Bridle. Onyx mouthed the bit and pawed the ground with his foreleg. He was clearly ready to go.