Two: A Match Made In Heaven, A Match Made On A Train

"Want some of my cinnamon roll?"

Pete perked up immediately, looking over at Gerard with wide-eyed enthusiasm.

"You'd let me have some?" He smiled. "Really?"

"Of course!" Gerard pushed his plate closer to Pete happily. "Have as much as you want. I shouldn't be eating that much sugar anyway."

"Thank you!" Pete unwrapped a set of silverware that sat at the table and picked at the cinnamon roll gingerly, savoring every small bite he took.

"Pete, you can't just share food with a total stranger," Patrick warned. "What are you thinking?"

"Oh no, I don't mind at all," Gerard smiled, scooping up a bite of the cinnamon roll with his own fork. "I grew up sharing everything with my family. Sharing is second nature to
us. Right, Mikes?"

"It's true,"' Mikey added, with a soft chuckle.

"You guys are so sweet," Pete gushed, his cheeks turning a brighter shade of pink as Mikey looked at him.

"Please, don't mention it." Gerard flicked a few locks of red hair out of his face as he spoke. "So, Pete, Patrick, what's your story?"

"What do you mean?" Patrick interjected, before Pete could start running his mouth.

"What's your story?" Gerard repeated. "Who are you guys? What brought you here? Where are you off too? What's happening to you at the end of the tracks?"

Patrick struggled to hold back an annoyed groan as Gerard began to ask questions.

"We're on our way to LA," Pete explained, cheerily. "We're meeting a couple friends of ours there."

"LA, huh?" Mikey leaned in slightly closer to Pete as he spoke. "That's pretty far. What is it, three days away?"

"Four," Pete corrected. "We were gonna take a plane, but this damn snowstorm grounded us."

"God, I wouldn't want to fly in this weather." Gerard gestured to the window next to him, showcasing the dramatic snowstorm in all it's terrifying glory.

"We haven't felt it personally," Mikey explained. "It's been over a day since we've set foot outside this train, but it was pretty cold over in New York."

"Oh, is that where you're from?" Pete asked.

"Jersey, actually," Gerard corrected. "But we haven't been back there in a while."

"Where've you been?" Pete prodded.

"All around the country," Mikey blurted, excitedly.

"Yeah, we've been taking this kind of extended vacation for a little while now," Gerard added, clearing things up. "It's time he and I went out and saw what's out there, you know?"

"You guys seem to have a lot of time," Patrick commented, bluntly. "Are you unemployed or something?"

"Patrick, oh my god!" Pete interjected.

"No, no, it's a logical question," Gerard admitted, taking another bite of his cinnamon roll. "I guess you could say that, uh... what's your name again?"

"Patrick," Patrick introduced himself once more.

"Patrick," Gerard repeated, a warm grin rising to his face. "I won't forget that. What was I saying aga- Oh yeah! I think the technical term for what we are is 'retired.'"

"Retired?" Patrick was taken aback by Gerard' choice of wording. "What are you guys, like, mid-twenties? How are you retired? Are you two genius businessmen or something?"