Eight: The Confession

[A.N.] I managed to get this chapter published on Christmas Eve with five minutes to spare! I just thought that was really cool.

I'm gonna try really hard to get the next chapter out tomorrow.

__________________________________________________________________

"Patrick! Pete! You're here!" Joe Trohman greeted the two friends warmly, his arms open and a smile on his face.

"Hey, Joe," Pete deadpanned.

"How are ya?" Patrick asked. "Where's Andy?"

"He's on his way," Joe explained. "Come on in, guys! Make yourself comfortable! I've got tons of movies and stuff for the night!"

"Oh," Pete sighed, too tired and sad to put effort into acting like he was interested. "Neat."

"Pete, what's going on?" Joe asked, putting a hand on Pete's shoulder supportively. "Are you feeling okay?"

"Fine," Pete lied, brushing Joe's hand away from him. "I'm just really tired. I think I'm gonna check in early and head to bed."

"Bed?" Joe tried to react lightly, but was genuinely concerned. "Pete, the sun's barely down. What are you talking about?"

"I had a rough day, okay?" Pete snapped. "I just want it all to be over. Can't you just let me sleep it off?"

"Oh, um," Joe was taken aback by Pete's aggression, but wasn't in any place to argue with it. "Yeah, okay... I'll show you the way. Come with me. Let me take your bags."

"I'm good," Pete held his bags a little tighter in his grip as he walked into the house with Joe.

"Guest bedroom's up the stairs and to the right," Joe directed. "You want some food or something?"

"I'm good." Pete trod up the stairs, bags in tow, without looking at Patrick or Joe. "Thanks, though."

"See you in the morning," Joe chirped, attempting to get something out of Pete, but gaining nothing. He turned to Patrick quickly.

"Okay, what's going on here?" He asked, in a hushed voice. "Something's up."

"It's a long story," Patrick breathed, simply.

"Shorten it," Joe ordered. "This is obviously serious."

"Fine then." Patrick gulped, trying to find the words to say to Joe. "To make a long story short, he got his heart broken this morning."

"What?" Joe exclaimed, in an excited whisper. "What happened? Who broke his heart? He didn't have a boyfriend, did he?"

"He found 'The One' on the train," Patrick explained. "The two fell hard for each other: he was talking about marrying him."

"And what happened?" Joe tilted his head. "Did this guy get scared and leave? Tell me what happened."

"I don't see why we have to get into the specifics," Patrick stammered, feeling his guilt rise up and eat away at him. "He's gone and Pete's not taking it well."