Chapter 19

I have passed the guards and were heading to see Kyra again. On the bridge, connecting the front building, I saw a man standing and watching me. It was William. There was a moment of stare down, until he decided to leave. So, it seems he is somewhat OK with me being in his property. If that is so, than I consider this a safe place for myself too. No need to worry for someone noticing or recognizing me. I am glad he have made that kind of decision.

       I walk in Kyra's room. She is still unconscious. How many days have been, since she was taken here? Who knows. I just want to see her back on her feet, to see her lovely eyes. I haven't talked to her since I attacked her. How is she going to react, seeing me beside her, after waking up? Will she be scared of me? Angry? Does she even want to see me? I am nervous of our first encounter on the day she opens her eyes. I want her to know, that I will never hurt her again, never. I need her forgiveness, but now I cannot get it. I have to wait - patiently.

     Jessica is already here. I see her working on machines next to the bed. She notices me, as before, slightly terrified seeing me. I don't blame her. I can imagine for smaller human, being around the me - at this point well known murderous machine, is a scary and a thing to be wary about. Jessica finishes her work on machinery with trembling hands. Then she leaves me in a room alone to be with my owner.

      Kyra looks the same like day before. Like a living corpse, pale unmoving. The only indication she is alive, is her barely visible chest - rising up and down. I pull myself close to her face, her breath fans my lips, coming from her slightly parted dry lips. Without realizing, my lips have found it's way on her own. I give her a feather light kiss. My shaking hands comes up to cup her face. I feel horrible seeing her like this, as I look at her innocent face. I close my eyes, my forehead rests on hers.

"Wake up! Open your eyes, please. Please, wake up. I need you. I.... I... cannot live without you. Just.... wake.... up...."

     I pulled myself away from her, as I was nearly shaking her form too strong. The sadness I felt was overwhelming, almost unbearable. But I could not do anything about it. This emotion was sitting inside of me and did not want to leave. I have no way of knowing, how to cope with it. The only thing I know for sure - on the day Kyra wakes up, will be the day I hopefully feel something else than this painful feeling.

      Hours pass and I see the sun setting through wide windows, coloring the city in tones of orange's and reds. Jessica came in few times to check up on Kyra's life support systems, but left me alone as fast. She did not like my company nor I needed hers. I was fine alone.

     It is time for me to leave and go to face the world outside. On the way, I saw William heading this way, probably to see his daughter. He was eyeing me with a firm face expression. I did not want to talk to him and without stopping my walk I exited the long corridor, before he have reached me.

     Previously I wanted to head out to city, but did not get that far. I took my stay on the same building's roof, where Kyra was laying. The sun was nearly behind the horizon. Time passed quickly. After many hours of starring into nothingness, I remembered about the glasses I stole from police. I noticed they were not just simple sunglasses, but more advanced work equipment. It had some type of computer inside of them. I put them on and started to examine, what they are all about. On the screen inside, some general information - date, time, location. A video and audio recording system. A list of Amber's laws, different protocols related to police work. On the top I notice a section with a word 'personnel' written. I choose it, to take a look. It is split in two different lists - human employees and robot employees. There is no one I recognize. But I had never had a real contact with police before, so it is not a surprise for me. I scroll farther down. Last two employees are detective Solace and detective Carlos Lavrov. Carlos.... The face seems familiar. After a second of thought I finally remember him as a man coming to see William few times before. I thought he is a private detective not the employee of city's police force.

     On the robot list was just regular MELAXO models. They had a general human name and a model number on their name list. They were sorted according to their rank system, the same way as a human policemen. One particular title caught my attention - sergeant Cole (M-89). He did not look like other robot police workers. He even wasn't a model from MELAXO. But the most surprising thing was his position in police ranking. I thought, that human would be in charge of other robots, but it seemed not to be the case. I need to see him. He looks formidable even for my standards.

   I decide to go straight to main police station. The deep curiosity taking over my mind. It is a stupid idea, as all of them probably are looking for me, but I will make sure to stay hidden and out of sight. Especially from robot policemen.

     Amber tonight is calm and there are almost no people on the streets. I have heard from nights before, that people are getting weary of being outside at nighttime. They are afraid to stumble on to some infected robots. Like there were any. I have not seen them , though, I would like to. I want to see, how it affects the others. Maybe north Amber is a place I have to go to meet them. With the new emotions, robots might be scared of being in the center of the city, full with skillful policemen.