Chapter 34

Roy asked me to come along to one of his exploring trips. He have found an abandoned building somewhere in a desert near this town. My friend does this to gather some valuable materials in order to sell them later.

     Couple of days have passed and I have forgotten the possible threat of E-Ono. Both brothers are still planning something behind my back and I feel little bit left out. I want to be a part of their little team too.

The uneasy feeling is still in my gut, like something is about to happen. I will say, that I feel a bit safer with Roy and Jay by my side.

    We walk for couple of hours. Desert is hot today and it makes walking more harder as temperature is smothering us. Roy has spent more time out and about and he is used to this deathly environment. Me on other hand, struggling to lift my feet of the ground on each step I take.

"What that place is about?" I am interested.

"I don't know yet. I saw it from afar and it intrigued me. It is quite far from town, I did not want to go alone. Jay has some businesses to attend, so he could not come either."

"You said, that he will join us. Is he going to be OK alone?"

"He is not going to be alone. Someone will bring him here."

"Oh! OK."

***

     We have walked for an hour and now I can see a silhouette of two stories high building. It contrasts on bright sand, but I can tell, that building itself is in light colors. Getting closer, I notice, that it is made of white bricks. White paint is coming off in some places. Small square windows are scattered on the walls.

"This place looks really old." I say as we are nearing the structure.

"Yeah.... like two or three hundred years."

"Really? As old as my dad's place? Whoaa!"

"Your dad's? You said you don't have family." Roy stopped in his tracks.

"Uhmm... I... I mean my fathers, many fathers -  ancestors. They might have lived in this type of house." I managed to cover up my little mistake of revealing too much about myself.

"Oh... I understand, sorry." he looked at me with serious expression, like being in deep thought about, what I said.

Stupid. I am so stupid.

I said I trust them, but actually not to full extent. I have learned, that I can not trust anyone.

"Is something wrong?" I am concerned.

***

     I am standing right on a doorstep and examine the state of this house or whatever it might be. Bricks were crumbled down from outside. The desert winds and sand have corroded the walls, making all very unstable. I was even hesitant to step in. Floor was covered in sand . The ceiling was supported by metal beams, that looked like rail tracks. This provided some shading and I was relieved to get some cover from burning sun.

"So... what is this place, Roy? Your guesses!"

"A garage or an auto service?"

I looked around and saw nothing inside. The place was completely empty. I was puzzled of why Roy wanted to come here so badly. A waste of time. Hours spent on the way and nothing for it.

"You will not get anything worth a value."

"Believe me, here is something, that is going to make us rich."

"What is it?"

"I will tell you, when Jay will arrive."

What could it be? Is here treasure hidden somewhere?

"OK. I will go to check out, what's inside."

"No, stay here!"

"Why?"

"I said, stay here, until Jay arrives!" Roy raised his voice.

What was up to him? Suddenly he have lost his sort of happy attitude to this grumpy one. Something was brewing. I could feel it.

Bryce's POV.

     My mind is going crazy. Few days ago I received a call from Will, that somebody claims to have found Kyra. Though, right now it is so far away, it will take months to reach that place. She is closer to Amber, than I have thought. Somewhere in a desert, the same desert, as city of Amber.

     I am standing between huge trees, in a green forest. Kyra would love this place. So much life, so much green. It is not even comparable to her tiny forest in a city. Even animals live here. Something, that she might have never seen in her life before.

     But the downside of this beautiful world is it's brutal human inhabitants. They are bigger and stronger, than regular people in Amber or anywhere in our desert. They are warriors. They have to protect themselves from the dangers in a forest - animals and their own kind.

I have run in to some of brutes already and have got many scars from those encounters, though, they are still only human. I am machine and no matter how much they would try to beat me, they will never get an upper hand. I will not allow them.

     Two strong man are accompanying me on the way back. Scoralus and Mane are their names. Both of them have sworn their loyalty to me, seeing me as stronger being. Not as a robot, but as human. I have not told them about me, being a machine. No one needs to know it.

Their kind values strength and power over everything else in this world. 

     My vehicle is meant for two people, that is - for me and Kyra. I have not found her, so the space will be taken by these two man. It will be an uncomfortable ride, as for their size, the seat is too small, meant only for one person.

    I will get back to Amber and give them their own bikes, new ones, made by Braun's company. The new models do not touch the ground, so the vehicle can go over any kind of surface. It is very suitable for desert environment, otherwise it would be impossible to go over dunes. Sand would make regular machines sink and be lost beneath.

I am eager to get back to Amber and get back to Kyra. I just hope, that it is a real call and not some scamming  attempt. I have put a big money for finding her. 

I am aware of human greediness.

 They will do anything for money, even betray their friends.