Scales

*Clarissa's POV*

First Louis was there then he wasn't.

"Louis!"I yelled as a cloud of purple smoke enveloped him. I'd know that smoke anywhere.

"Zayn!"I yelled next hoping to the high heavens he was there.

"Clarissa, he's not there. We just lost Louis."Liam said and Harry collapsed to the ground with a thump. He ran his hand through his hair. His fingers caught on curls which he yanked at in frustration.

"Harry stop! Don’t do that!"I yelled running over to him and untangling his hand from his hair. He broke down right there on the living room floor.

"Why couldn't they have taken me?"He wailed and Niall's wings drooped a little lower than before. I sighed unsure of what to say to him. It was a rare thing I was speechless and this time I was. I just sat there like a dumb stump and watched him cry.

"Harry, please don't cry."I said feeling the hot tears beginning to line my lids and burn my eyes."Please don't cry."I felt one slip down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away.

"Claire, don't cry because I'm crying."Harry said his deep slightly strained voice making me want to cry even more than I already did. I looked up into those green eyes of his which were puffy and red at the moment.

"Don't cry Claire."He said tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Says the man who's weeping on the floor."I say and he laughs wiping away his tears with the back of his hand.

"I just wish it could've been me they'd taken."He said."They wouldn't have any power over me."

"Which is why they didn't take you."Liam said rubbing Niall's back. He looked about ready to start crying himself. He kept it together for so long and within two days the entire group falls apart. It must be hard for him since he was the one in charge.

"No need to be rude about it I'm just stating how I feel."Harry said and Liam just glared at him. Obviously the fight they'd had a mere hour before was still fresh. I shook my head. I thought they'd apologized to each other and all was well. Whatever, Zayn and Louis were far more important right now. They could resolve their little catfight later.

"Guys, Zayn and Louis are now in the poachers grasp and they've got Zayn granting them wishes."I said and Liam nodded.

"They've got at least one wish left if not two."Liam said."They might have already used a wish. Trying to figure out where we lived. Which Niall so cleverly prevented."Niall's wings perked up a bit regaining some of their lost shimmer and he smiled.

"Thanks Liam."He whispered. Way to go there Li, keep Nialler's self esteem up.

"How are we going to get them out of there?"I asked."What do they want with Zayn and Lou? Why not all of us?"Liam shook his head.

"I can't answer all those questions. They wanted Zayn because he was an easy way to us."The phone started to ring and we all looked at each other. Who could it be?

*Louis' POV*

"We'll allow one phone call."The man said to me and Georgie smiled in the corner.

"Go ahead, call your worthless friends."She hissed and I scowled at her.

"You haven't changed one bit from high school there Georgie."I said staring her in the eyes."Don't you remember that day you told the Barbies all about me and how I was a Merman. Even though I said you could never tell anyone."She looked flustered and growled at me.

"I'm not waiting any longer."She yelled tackling me to the floor.

"Georgie what the hell?!”I felt her rip my bracelet off and pour a bucket of water over me. Searing pain rippled up my legs as my tail formed. She laughed.

"It hurts doesn't it? I knew it would."She said dragging me towards the wall and restraining me into a chair the man had run in. She pulled a pair of industrial tweezers from her back pocket.

"This will only hurt a lot."She said sweetly as she clamped her tweezers unto one of my scales. She dug underneath it and I gritted my teeth.

"Does that hurt Louis?"She mocked me with her syrupy sweet tone."How about this?"She twisted my scale to the left and I groaned in pain."Or this?"She turned it to the right. I gripped the arms of the chair and begged.

"Please Georgie."I whispered looking into the cruel blue orbs I'd once adored and protected like she was my younger sister. I felt my tears spill over.

"Does this hurt more Louis?"She asked as if she didn't even hear my pleas. She pulled my scale farther out of its allotted space and I cried out.

"Please Georgie!"I screamed letting the tears fall."Please don't Georgie!"She smiled evilly and jerked her arm back ripping my scale out. I let out the loudest scream I'd ever screamed as the pain overwhelmed me. The pain was worse than third degree burns. It rippled out from the spot and pulsed through my body. I sobbed loudly in the chair and she walked away waving the bloody scale in the air like a trophy. I looked up at her through my blurry vision.

"What happened to you Georgie?"I asked and she turned towards me. My silver scale still clutched tightly in her tweezers. Blood was dripping from the end of it splashing onto the floor to create a small puddle.

"You happened Louis, it was all you."She said.

*Zayn's POV*

What was this chick talking about? Why was she doing this to Louis? I couldn't imagine why. Louis was a fun loving overall nice guy. She dropped Louis' scale into a mason jar and turned stalking back towards my friend. She sneered as he looked up at her his eyes still lined with tears. There was nothing he could do. Merpeople may be the fastest swimmers known to man and magic but they're powerless on land. I'd heard they could slap the crap out of you with their fins but Louis didn't look like he had enough strength left to do it. Or maybe, just maybe, he didn't have the will to do it. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why she meant so much to him. What about her was so special that he wouldn't fight her? She was ripping his scales out one by one with tweezers. I would fight back. Why wasn't he?

"Georgie, please don't do this."He begged."I know somewhere deep down you still care about me. What happened to the little girl I knew? The little girl who would always helped the kids on the playground after they got hurt and thought what I am was beautiful. Don't say it was me Georgie! You know I know better than that."He was getting angrier and bolder."It was something far more than just me telling you what I am that happened to set you down this evil path."She just walked away placing the tweezers on the table.

"One phone call."She said slamming my cell phone down on the table.

*Clarissa's POV*

I ran for the phone sliding across the slippery wood before answering it.

"Hello."

"Clarissa!"It was Zayn and I let out a sob.

"You're OK."I said."I thought you might be dead."

"No, I'm not dead. Listen to me. This chick named Georgie has us and this other dude and I don't know his name. Guessing from the traffic noises we're beside a highway or something. I'm sorry I can't tell you anymore but I've been locked in this room the entire time."Zayn said sucking his breath in quickly."Louis' here with me but he's really not up for talking right now."I heard a groan in the background.

"Gimme the phone."Louis groaned.

"Are you sure Lou?"Zayn asked and I hear rustling.

"Clarissa."He moaned in pain."Don't tell them, but she ripped one of my scales out. She going to do it again, I just know she is."I gasped at that. How could you do that to Louis? He was just so nice to everyone. Who could possibly hate him enough to do that?

*Georgie's POV*

I couldn't believe that stupid Merfreak. He thought that he could draw mercy out of me. Not after what happened to me after he told me his little secret. I tried to tell my parents who called me crazy then sent me to therapy. I never told Louis that. When the girls at school heard it they believed me but that was short lived since I couldn't come up with any evidence whatsoever. That stupid bracelet protected him and prevented me from ever getting my evidence. They soon lost faith in my stories and they told my parents which got me sent for more therapy. He would pay if it was the last thing I ever did.