The Crew

"Hey short stuff", I opened my eyes to be greeted by my brother and some middle aged man, "Alex whose that?", I asked cautiously, soon I realized that it was our Uncle Patrick, I thought we had no other family... I thought everyone was dead. "Rise and shine beautiful", he gave me a hug and then offered to help me up, at first I wondered why I'd need assistance to get up but then did I see white bandages wrapped throughout my body, pain struck and I bit my lip to reduce the feeling, my uncle helped me to the table where he fixed us something to eat, I had so many questions being that my uncle is alive and I just got up but I decided to stay calm and save my questions for later. Alex had bandages around his arm and his chest but he was okay, "listen, I want you guys to know that you're safe, alright? From now on, you're going be with me and nobody's going to hurt you", my uncle assured us, "hey Patrick, I found some ammo near the shed, you think anybody tried to sabotage us last night?", A boy near my age looked at us after he spoke, he was dark but handsome, "uh, Patrick?", he seemed confused, "oh Jeremy this is my nephew and my niece", he shook hands with Alex and then smirked at me, "well hello", he reached for my hand to kiss it, I blushed but my uncle got in between, "no Jeremy, she's not to flirt around with", the boy chuckled and then shock struck his face, "wait, you said these are your niece and nephew?", "yes, they are the children of my sister, Theresa", the boy seemed to stiffen, "so their dad is?", "Pistol", my uncle said to answer, see I don't know my father's real name, neither does Alex, we just know that they call him by some nickname, Pistol. Later on my uncle introduced us to some other people, some people he said we can trust. Trust is a funny word. We met someone named Lilac turns out that she was our cousin, someone named Chris, and a girl called Kay, she wasn't very friendly though; she seemed to dislike me. Jeremy showed me around and he was very nice, he made me laugh a couple of times and he didn't ask about my personal business. Alex started giving Jeremy weird stares like mean mugs and stuff; that Kay girl didn't seem to like me cause she kept on glaring at me and especially when I was around Jeremy. They gave us new clothes and my uncle said that we shouldn't get too comfortable cause we were relocating, Uncle says that we're too close to the facility. We spent five days packing and about four weeks traveling, we rode in a big bus that my uncle owned. My wounds got better, especially my leg, Jeremy stayed by my side throughout everything, Kay never talked to me and Lilac was really sweet and shy she loved making bracelets, my brother and I started to realize that these people were more like a crew, they always had guns around on them and our uncle told us how he found Jeremy on the streets and Kay nearly dead, Chris was being hustled by dangerous gang members... the Scriptures. I looked at Alex smiling at the window, he seemed really happy but was he thinking the same thing that I was? How and why is our uncle alive when we're not supposed to have any family?  How did he and Lilac survive out of everyone else? Why did Jeremy seem so surprised about who my dad was? I didn't let it bother me though cause Alex didn't... but something didn't feel right.