bar 9

Conflicted circumstances [競合状況]

"past versus present."

Chiharu's POV

Chiharu's POV

"Honestly, why am I always saving you from trouble? Remember the last time you climbed a tree and almost broke your leg? You were lucky I was there to catch you," I sighed as I pulled out a disinfectant from the cabinet and a piece of clean cloth, cotton wool, and band-aids.

"Haha... That's why I trust you, Haru-chii," He says as I took a seat and prepared to disinfect the wounds on his head and arms.

"Yeah, don't start any more fights like just now. You were being reckless."

He laughs, but his laugh was sad. I could tell after he fell silent after a while. I brushed his raven hair to the side to disinfect the wound on his head. He winced in pain but kept his cool.

"Chiharu," He says suddenly, his tone sounding more serious than his usual playful voice.

"Yeah?" I said as I moved my hand down to his cheek.

At that moment, he purposely made eye contact with me, making me stop cleaning his wound. He grabs my sleeve as if scared that I would disappear into thin air. His emerald eyes stared directly into mine, making me raise an eyebrow while the air between us grew more intense.

"Can you promise me something?" He says as we locked our eyes together. I tilted my head, indicating that I wanted to know what promise he wanted me to make.

"Please stay with me no matter what happens, good or bad, I want to stay beside you," He says, eager to hear the answer as soon as I processed his wish.

Although it sounded like he was indicating something, I paused for a moment, with my eyes closed, thinking about what I should say next.

Yuuta is my childhood friend, and he is precious to me, of course, he will stay beside me. But...

I sighed and moved away from him and continued rubbing his cheek with the cotton wool drenched in disinfectant.

"Honestly, that is a very hard promise to keep. I cannot promise you anything because you are my childhood friend. Eventually, I can't be the one protecting you anymore. The point of our teenage years is to learn to fight our own battle. It is the time where we grow independent. So even if you are as precious as a gem to me, I can't promise you that," I said with confidence. He looks down, his hand leaving my sleeve.

He then looked down and chuckled.It sounded like he was trying to tell me something when he mumbled.

"You really are an idiot, Chiharu!" He laughed and looked up at me.

"Huh?"

I raised an eyebrow and proceeded to clean the wound on his arm.

As soon as I was done, I place a band-aid on the areas that had a gash. Sighing in relief, I disposed of the band-aid wrappers and the used cotton wool in the bin.