Chapter 18 | Long Lost Family

Elkie's heart started drumming against her chest. "Uh, you know each other?" Ilhoon asked.

She looked at him and then to Kim Chung Hoon, who was looking back at her quizzically. She cleared her throat and said, "Yeah..."

There's no use in denying it now.

Ilhoon smiled. "Really? How did you know someone who's into music?" he asked.

She took a deep breath. "I worked for him."

This time, Ilhoon's face was filled of confusion. "What do you mean? You worked in a music shop...?"

"In my agency." Chung Hoon said.

Elkie looked at her brother in the eyes and said, "Listen to me. Chung Hoon is the former CEO of SM."

"I didn't expect you would know someone like Elkie." Chung Hoon said, smiling kindly.

"Ohㅡshe's my sister." Ilhoon said nonchalantly.

Chung Hoon's jaw dropped, and then his face turned pale, his smile faded away.

"Um... are you alright?" Ilhoon asked politely.

Chung Hoon turned to me. "Does... does this mean he's my..."

Elkie nodded, a grim look on her face, which only confused Ilhoon even more.

"Okay, what is going on?" he asked nervously, but still trying to grin.

"You didn't tell him?" Chung Hoon asked her.

"I... I was waiting for the right time." Elkie said quietly.

"Elkie?" Ilhoon called, now looking at her with impatience.

"I'm... your father." Chung Hoon finally said. This time, it was Ilhoon who seemed to have frozen in time. Elkie gave him a supportive squeeze on his arm but it's like he didn't even feel it.

"W-What?"

#

"I'll give you two some privacy..." Elkie said, then turned to Ilhoon. "Unless you want me to stay?"

He swallowed hard. "Wait for me outside."

She nodded and made her way out of the shop.

Ilhoon stood where he was unmoving. "Since when... did you know?" he finally asked his real father. He can't believe it. They've been talking and spending time together for the past few days without knowing that the old man standing in front of him is his long lost father.

"A few days ago, Elkie told me about you but I didn't know how you looked like. She said she'd arrange our meeting eventually and I just have to wait for the right time... until you're ready." A small smile curved his lips. "Elkie is right. You're a handsome young man."

"You were an agentㅡa CEO at that, and you didn't find me." He said, not hiding the resentment in his voice.

Chung Hoon shook his head. "No, noㅡI tried to find you. There wasn't a single day that I didn't tryㅡbut I couldn't. I couldn't, Ilhoon."

He looked at him wide-eyed, realizing how much they resembled each other; his heart ached unexpectedly. "Are you telling the truth?"

"I thought Elkie was my child. She was the only child in your family registry. I thought... perhaps... when your mother found out about her pregnancy... she... she..."