Chapter 5 | The Shadow Inside Us

(Heymello add this amazing chapter herself please enjoy!)

-

MINHYUK WOKE UP BREATHLESS FROM A NIGHTMARE. The same nightmare he's been having for so long now but the emotions of fear and guilt never lessened.

He got up from bed to get a glass of water. It was three in the morning for goodness' sake. He could never get enough sleep. The nightmare visits him every now and then, no predictions whether it's night or day as long as he's sleeping. It felt real over and over again.

Today's the last day of the break he and Elkie got as a reward for finding out who the 'double agent' was and their co-workers have set up another party after work, but before that, he needs to sleep. He grabbed a sleeping pill and took it before going back to bed.

#

Elkie barely managed to get out easily of Ella's apartment. She jumped from her window and landed with a loud thump. She quickly crawled behind the bushes and held her breath. Something had stabbed her waist but she ignored the pain.

Ella may have been fired but they haven't found any evidence that she's a double agent. The company is just taking preventive measures so they kicked her out that easily.

So she had to do something. She had placed some YM files and YM Chairman's phone number between the files on her desk. Elkie heard that today is going to be the last day of inspection.

But she also knows that Ella isn't dumb. She would notice something's upㅡunless she wakes up at this hour.

Elkie's heart was loud and thumping against her chest. There were no movements. Ella's still sleeping. She closed her eyes and muttered a soft 'thank you' before running quietly meters away from Ella's apartment where she parked her car.

#

"Shit. Shit. Shit." Elkie muttered as she stared at the wound on her waist. Three stabs of something she didn't notice was on the ground. What was it? What if she left a blood stain on them? Could Ella have put a trap beneath her windows? Damn it.

It was a one-hour drive from Ella's apartment to hers and she had been enduring the wounds ever since.

By quarter to six in the morning, she almost crawled to her apartment, feeling weak. She grabbed the first aid kit and sat on the carpeted floor where she tore off her shirt and screamed out of pain once she had poured hydrogen peroxide on her wounds.

She was rubbing a cotton around her wounds when the doorbell rung. Her heart skipped a beat. Her eyes quickly darted to the wall clock.

The time was 6:15.

The doorbell kept ringing but she couldn't stand to open it so she let the annoying sound go on. Maybe the visitor would go awayㅡbut instead, the door popped open, revealing Lee Minhyuk.

He looked like he was ready to kill her, but then he saw her wounds and his jaw dropped.

"Sneaking into my apartment again, I see?" she said with a little smirk, trying to appear alright even though she clearly wasn't.

#

Minhyuk swallowed. Not only is there a gorgeous girl shirtless in front of him, she's also bleeding a lot.

"What the hell? What have you gotten into this early in the morning?" he asked, sitting in front of her to inspect her wounds. "Why didn't you go to the hospital?"