Chapter 15 | Farewell

Everyone was quiet even though the TV was still on. The news have focused on other things but the one about Elkie's father still rang inside her head. She swallowed and excused herself from everyone before heading out of Minhyuk's apartment. She didn't know where to go as she looked around, finding only the stairs. She climbed them up, up, up even though she had no idea if the building even had rooftop.

Fortunately, it has.

She swung out of the rooftop, desperate for air and sunlight. She closed her eyes and tried to clear her head.

I did the right thing. I did the right thing. She repeated the words over and over inside her head but her heart felt hollow.

She looked up at the clear blue skies and talked to her mother in her head, "Mom, are you proud of me? Or did I screw up again?"

She clenched her fists and closed her eyes, feeling more confused than ever.

#

Minhyuk followed Elkie as soon as she left his apartment. She climbed up the stairs, moving swiftly as if desperately looking for something, and then she almost stumbled on her steps onto the rooftop.

He watched her hands clench tightly, her knuckles turning pale as she looked up the skies, and then sat on the ground. Minhyuk took a deep breath and sat beside her. Her eyes were closed but she spoke, "What are you doing here?"

"Thought you might need company."

She opened her eyes and looked at him. He's still in awe of her beauty no matter how many times he'd seen her. "Don't worry, I won't jump." she said.

Minhyuk snorted. "I didn't think you would."

A comfortable silence surrounded them for a while before he said, "You did the right thing, you know. I know it wasn't easy, but I admire you for still doing what's right."

Her face softened as she looked away but she didn't say anything.

Minhyuk stared at the tall buildings of Seoul as he spoke again, "We've come a long way, haven't we?"

She chuckled. "Yeah,"

"I don't easily trust anyone. I can't believe I've come to trust a double agent."

"Former double agent."

"Fine. You get the point anyway."

"I'm honored."

"Is that with sarcasm... or?"

She smiled so lovely. "No, I really am."

"Anyway, thank you for keeping me from turning into ashes. That was so brutal of them."

Her smile faded away. "I'm sorry."

Minhyuk smiled and bumped his shoulder with hers lightly, "Stop saying that when it's not your fault."

"I just think it's becauseㅡ"

"No, it's not." he said, cutting her off.

Finally, she smiled again. They looked into each other's eyes as if they see each other's soul. Minhyuk fought the urge of something that has been bothering himㅡthankfully, or not, they were interrupted by a phone call. Elkie cleared her throat and took her phone, speaking calmly to the caller. "Yes, chairman? Yes... I'll be right there."

She slid the phone back to her pocket. "Gotta go. Duty calls."

"Just you?"

She nodded. "Yup," she said, extending her hand to him. He grabbed it and pushed himself up. Her hand was unexpectedly soft and warm. She let go of his hand almost immediately. "See you later then?"