Chapter 2 | The Double Agent

One week ago...

"Everyone here?"

Both Elkie and Minhyuk jolted up from sitting once their boss walked into the room.

Without any of them responding, their boss nodded on his own. "Great," he said. "I have a task for the two of you."

Elkie's eyebrows shot up. "Task? What kind?"

The chairman sat down on the swivel chair behind his desk and looked at them both intently. "There is a double agent in our agency."

When he said this, she felt every inch of her body become stiff but she kept a straight face. At least, she's good at that.

The chairman continued, "You are two of our best, so I need you both to work together and find out who dared to come in here with the sole intention of betraying us."

Minhyuk raised an eyebrow. There's a deep frown on his face. He does this when he's thinking. "A double agent?" he muttered.

"Do you know what their second agency is?" asked Elkie, calmly.

The chairman heaved a deep sigh. "No," he replied and she felt herself relax a little. "But we made a list of agencies that are in the area. I hope you find the double agent before it's too late."

"Of course, we will work on it immediately." Minhyuk replied, his expression more alert now.

The chairman tapped the desk with his both hands before getting up. "Good. I'll leave you both with the files thenㅡI have another meeting to attend."

Elkie and Minhyuk bowed for respect until the chairman left the room completely.

She looked at Minhyuk who's now going through the list. "A double agent huh? I wonder who it is. I could only name a few who seemed suspiciousㅡoh, Ella! That woman is really secretive."

Minhyuk threw her a quick glance. "You already have suspects?"

Shit. Elkie thought. She shouldn't be blaming anyone too quickly, or she'll be obvious. Her brain is malfunctioning because she still can't believe they're trying to find herㅡthe double agent.

"Well," Elkie said once she recovered. "I'm very observant."

He nodded at this thoughtfully. "Well, who knows? Chairman left the list of agencies here. We should take a look to get a starting point."

"Which agencies are on the list?" she asked casually.

"YM, Star, RFI..." Minhyuk recited. "I'm mostly worried about YM. They've been our enemy for the longest."

"Right," Elkie agreed and at the same time brainstorming on how to turn the tables. "Or it could be Star. Thinking about it, they're new and highly competitiveㅡif they bring us down, they'd be at the top."

Minhyuk nodded before taking a pen to mark the empty space beside Star. "That's true. Could be." He said later on.

They separated when she told him that they need to start gathering information.

Quickly, she headed out of the building.

#

Elkie stepped on the breaks in an ugly rush in front of YM agency. She ignored everything and everyone she passed by the lobby and headed straight to the chairman's office.

"Chairman, we have a problem." she said without any prefix to the issue.

The YM chairman's eyes moved from the computer to her. "What is it, Elkie?"