⋆11⋆ Scorched

October 8th
       .Diana Hughes

The Thursday of October 8th was a grey one

The Thursday of October 8th was a grey one. A grey sky, a grey ground and a grey girl a perfect trio for a not-so perfect day. I walked from the school doors and straight to the boy who was waiting for me, leaning against his bonnet, straight into his car.

"Your day was ok?" Pink lips onto my pink forehead, warm hands against my cold cheeks.

"It was alright, I suppose. Thank you again for getting me away from my dad." He opened the passenger side door for me and I slid into the leather seats, rubbing my hands quickly against them in hope of heating them up. He closed my door and opened his own, starting the engine and the radio.

"We're picking up Peter, so just a quick warning he can be a bit of an ass. I wouldn't take anything he says personally." His large hands gripped the steering wheel and i couldn't help but think how large they were, and how each finger seemed larger than-

"I won't. Where exactly are we going?" A small smile appeared on his lips and I looked up at his brown curls. How soft.  and shiny they looked in the light.

"A spot, and then maybe a party if you're up for it. what time do you have to be home for?" His eyes fart from the road to me and then back.

"No idea, my parents don't even know where i am right now, but i don't really care either."

"So you want to go to the party? I promise it won't end as violently as the previous one." He chuckled and hovered his hand above my knee as though he were going to rest it there before stopping and putting it back on the wheel.

"Yeah that sounds cool." I hated how disinterested I sounded though I was interested.

"What exactly does your dad do?" He asked me, his eyes flickering in the mirror.

"He owns part of a magazine company, maybe you've heard of it? It's called The Mystic -- named after a small village near new york where he met my mother, before their marriage fell apart of course."

"What do you mean? I hate to seem rude but how did their marriage fall apart?" He chewed his bottom lip nervously.

"God, it's so frustrating, they both know they don't love eachother anymore but they still stay together and pretend everythings okay between them when he decides to actually come home from his oh-so-important work and see us. You know my mom works long hours at the hospital and then he just cruises in like he didn't leave her."

"That's what it's like with my parents. They were so in love and there was a stage where my dad was off working all the time but he still made time for me and my mom and my-" He paused as though he'd already said to much, his jaw tightening with frustration and his eyes glaring at the road in anger.

"-and my sister..." His voice fell soft and quiet, like a silent ripple in a colossal ocean, so insignificant you could barely even notice it, but I did notice it.

"You have a sister?"

"No, not anymore. But anyway, my father still loved my mother and made an effort but then something happened with my sister and they just stopped loving eachother. I always looked up to my Dad, I wanted to own big businesses like he did and he always said I could be his intern when I was old enough. Though I haven't seen him in months now."

"My father said I could be his intern too when I was little, though growing up without him I learnt to hate him. Writing was always a big dream of mine though, so I think if he ever gave me the opportunity- despite the fact I hate him- i'd take it in a heartbeat."

After driving for a while, Shawn picks up William and Peter and they talk to me from the back of Shawn's car as shawn drives around, leaving me unsure of where we're going.

"Where we headed, Shawn?" William asks, patting the back of my headrest as he speaks.

"Were going to-" Shawn reaches his hand out to get the cup of coffee in the cup holder between us, but as he does so, the car jolts and the coffee goes flying across me. Scorching hot liquid seeps through my jeans and I wince.

"Oh, fuck fuck fuck fuck." He mumbles, pulling his car over to the side of the road and jumping out as i frantically pat the burn with a napkin i found on his dashboard, trying not to cry. As shawn tries to go to my side of the car William and Peter yell things at me: "Dude that looks hot!"

"Shit I think you're supposed to apply pressure!"

"No that's when you get stabbed or shot, ass hole!"

Shawn opens my door and looks at my leg, unsure of what to do. I wave my hands on my leg, trying to cool down.

"Why is it so fucking hot, Shawn?!" I screamed trying my hardest not to cry.

"The moron takes his coffee black so it's literally just scorching hot water with coffee in it." Peter tells me, leaning over to us from the back seat.

I toss my head back and groan as I want nothing more than the pain to stop.

"Let me see it?" Shawn asks me, his sweet hazel eyes looking guiltily at me. I look down at my scorched thighs and pull my jeans down, not caring about my exposed underwear, my
only focus being getting rid of the burning.

"Oh, shit." William makes a gagging noise as he looks at the gross burn on my thighs. It's all red and sore and I know itll blister tomorrow.

"Should I take her to a hospital?" Shawn asks the guys and they shrug.

"No, no, i'll be fine, it'll be fine." I smile and pat his shoulder, though really my skin feels like it's burning and scorching.

A common feeling I'd find out later was often associated with Shawn Mendes.