Chapter 10 - Confrontation

Kieran and his friends, together with Duke Lavaridge and General Evandro tend to the wounded king.

"His wounds need to be taken care of immediately. I have some first aid potions in my bag that could temporarily relieve pain and reduce infection," Duke Lavaridge said.

"General Evandro, you have the power to teleport right?" Leighton asked.

"Yes, but I can't carry this many people at the same time. I've already used too much of my magic evacuating the people of Aerstelle, earlier before you arrived," General Evandro looked down.

"There's an infirmary not far from here. Its in the school I was teaching. There should be something there that could help the king," Mina said.

General Evandro looked puzzled for a second before asking, "How about you? Based on what I've heard, you don't intend to come with us."

"Take care of my father, General Evandro, Duke Lavaridge. We'll handle things here," Leighton said, before looking at his father lying unconciously on the ground.

"You've already fought enough," Jin Woo said.

Suddenly, a nasty smell mixed with the air, combined with a nauseating aura.

"W-what is that awful smell, and that terrible dark magic?" Ellaina said covering her nose.

"Well, well, well, look at you all," Vendecliffe came from nowhere with a devious grin on his face. "How nice to see the Magic Ministry and the royals all together. King Cashmir of Aerstelle, the Ministers, and oh look, you even brought the princess of Lumeria. Princess Ellaina, how nice to see you here."

"But its such a pity that I have to kill you all," Vendecliffe said while playing with black fire on his hand.

"Uncle..." Kieran said, looking at Duke Evandro. The latter seemed to understand what he was trying to say but was reluctant to comply.

"I shall rule this kingdom!"
Vendecliffe exclaimed before throwing a gigantic ball of dark magic at them.

"NOW!" Kieran shouted and a white sphere enveloped the king and the two veteran ministers. Duke Evandro used his teleportation magic to transport the king to a safe place, leaving the five descendants to face Vendecliffe.

They all scattered around to evade the attack.

"Why are you doing this, Vendecliffe? You were once a great apprentice just like us," Kieran said.

" I became like this when the king chose you instead of me to be the next minister!" and then he threw dark magic onto Kieran, who evaded the attack.

"Just like what you said, I was like all of you. Weak and gullible. But that was before, now, I've realized that I have just been deceived!" Vendeclife said.

Flashback:
"Vendecliffe, aren't you late for the ceremony? Today is the day when King Cashmir announces the new ministers of the Magic Ministry," Vendeciffe's mother said as she prepares breakfast.

"I'm coming, mom. I can't wait to hear King Cashmir announce the new ministers," Vendecliffe eagerly said.

"You've worked hard for so long. I'm sure it will pay off. You deserve to be appointed as a minister," his mom tapped his shoulder and smiled at him.

"Thanks, mom. I gotta go," Vendecliffe said as he went out of the house.

"People of Aerstelle,today we will witness the new ministers of the Magic Council. Let us all give way to the apprentices!" the king said as he stood in the middle of the coliseum.

Vendecliffe, together with his sister Gertrude, Mina, Jin Woo and Kieran all went in the middle of the coliseum.

"The current ministers would each select one of their apprentices to inherit their position," the royal jester said.

"Based from your powers, strengths and desires, I appoint you, Jin Woo of the Seo clan as the new head of the Law Governing Ministry. Do you accept the seal of courts and jurisdiction?" the minister said.

"I solemnly accept," Jin Woo bowed down as the crest of law appeared on his left arm.

"With the wisdom and intelligence you showed from the past trainings, I humbly appoint you, Mina of the Myoui clan as the new minister of Education. Do you accept the seal of wisdom? the minister said.

"I solemny accept," like Jin Woo, Mina bowed down and the crest of wisdom was engraved on her right arm.

"I can't believe they chose her over me?! I am way smarter and more powerful than her!" Gertrude murmured on her brother.

"Shush Gertrude, they chose Mina for a reason," Vendecliffe pacified her sister.

"And lastly, I appoint the most powerful apprentice in all of Aerstelle to be the next minister of Magic," the royal minister said. Vendecliffe was very eager, as seen in his reaction.

"Kieran, of the house of Caldwell!" and the whole crowd rejoiced.

"People of Aerstelle, I present to you, the new Ministry!" King Cashmir said and Duke Lavaridge and General Evandro joined them as well.
The crowd approached the new ministers while Vendecliffe and Gertrude could only watched by the sidelines.

"I don't believe this. But, I did everything I could," Vendecliffe said to himself.

He ran away from the coliseum and went to a river. He stood there thinking of how weak he was.
He cried and wept so hard, not minding anyone who sees him.

"Yeah, you seem so much better than that Caldwell boy,"a voice said from afar.

"W-who are you? What do you need from me?" Vendecliffe asked.

"I need you to come with me. I can help you with your problem." dark cloud appeared in front of him.

Vendecliffe stood up and extended his hand over the dark cloud but as soon as he touched it, the cloud engulfed his body.