Chapter 60

SURPRISES WERE WORTH A BIG DEAL for the Simpson family. Toby's return, however, provided me with an opportunity to split it into two parts. One for the family, the other for Jamie McVey, whom I still owe for the time I spent at her apartment with her daughter when I escaped Springfield. I felt obligated to return the favor. Therefore, I told her to come with me to a shop in Manchester two days after I saw Toby, along with little Estefania, who must want to meet her famous father and my beloved boyfriend, Jesse, who was just as curious as Estefania to meet my brother.

   Jamie didn't know, neither did my family about Toby. As far as they knew, he was still gone. I understood this caused them to still suffer but they also deserved a much needed surprise. Especially Mum, who anxiously waited by the door all night to see if Dad would come home to be with her.

He called last night after not coming home. Well, Mum called him and he answered, telling her that Noelle, Arabella, and this whole scandal has been escalating rather quickly and Mum only said "do a DNA test, Brad. Don't commit to something you don't want to do." Dad said he'd do so but he was scared about how Arabella, who was certain that Noelle was his daughter, would respond upon hearing about his uncertainty. Apparently, he had told Mum he wouldn't come home until he solved everything. They didn't talk about how much they loved each other or how another was suffering; it was said amongst them silently, and after every pause, more tears left Mum's soft hazel eyes and landed on one of Dad's old jumpers, which Mum always inherits after they stop fitting him or he's tired of them, or even because Mum wanted it, that she was wearing, still faint with his smell.

Either way, Jamie stayed quiet in the cab we took up to Manchester. She didn't know where we were going. As far as she knew, we were going to a store that just opened up at the centre and we were going to shop all day with little Fanny and Jesse. She had wanted to spend time with me, as she said in a call last night. So, Phase One of the plan was to fake a call.

My phone went off and it was the fake call I put in, which was actually a reminder with my phone's ringtone. It was to ring at 13:08, no later, no sooner. "Ah. I must take this. It's an old friend I've been looking for since my return." I answered. "Hello?... Ah yes! It's so nice to hear from you!.... Yes, you've been on my mind too.... Ah! You're in Manchester?.... Oh dear, really?... Oh I'm in Manchester passing through. I shall come to visit you then.... I'm sorry it's a bit impromptu. I won't tarry long though.... You must recuperate.... Of course. See you soon, love. Farewell." I looked over at Jamie and Jesse. "An old friend is in Manchester Rehabilitation Hospital. I must see him since we are here. Do you mind, James?"

She shook her head, sighing softly. "No. It is fine."

"You can go without—"

"No, heavens no, Cecilia. I mustn't let you go by yourself. I'm responsible for you."

"Are you sure? I won't stay long. Nathaniel has been very ill."

"It's perfectly fine. Mister, change route to Manchester Rehab Hospital. We are going to visit her friend."

"Yes ma'am." The chauffeur answered, getting off of the speedway, and onto the exit ramp.

"Who is this Nathaniel?" Jamie asked, looking at her daughter trying to get out of the booster seat. "I don't recall him." She stroked Fanny's head to calm her.

"An old friend from school. Sammy probably remembers him but little. But Nathaniel was an angel, probably why we didn't make the best of friends in school, as I was a little devil." I answered, reaching for Jesse's hand. "He got into an automobile accident and was put in the hospital for rehabilitation after his short convalescence in the general hospital to recuperate further."