Chapter 64

Tammy's POV-

SPRINGFIELD JUST DOES NOT CHANGE when I am here. However, every time I leave and then return, this city just blossoms with new things. It seems to me that this city I grew up in is full of surprises and each time I get here, the double take happens every single time. Springfield, Illinois is my home, and being back puts me at ease, even though Brad's absence still affects me daily, but, I've had some help by the girls and my kids, especially Toby.

   As soon as we landed, Brandon was outside, waiting for us with the car. He immediately approached and kissed me, then Ceci, shook hands with Jesse, and then hugged Sammy. After, my son grabbed my luggage, and my arm, and walked me to the car. I held onto him as if I didn't, I'd fall. I felt so uneasy right now and maybe it was all the paps surrounding us, asking for Brad and the scandal, but maybe it could've been the fact that I'm back home without my husband.

   "Mum, ignore them. You're good. How was your flight?" Brandon said, wrapping his reassuring arm around my shoulders.

   "It was okay. I miss Birmingham and the girls and Toby already." I answered, looking at my son, the mirror image of my husband.

   "Ah. I see. But Toby will visit soon, no? And when he marries, it'll be grand. So, you mustn't worry so much about Toby." He stopped and pushed some of his messy curls back. "Car, Liv, Tati, and I have missed you all dearly."

The striking resemblance between my son and my husband was difficult for me. It also didn't help that Brandon kept dressing like Brad. He was wearing black skinny jeans, ripped at the knees, --something more like James than Brad-- with a grey jumper and beige Chelsea boots. His thick brown curls were held back by a black bandana and he was wearing Brad's old cross necklace, something that just by looking at it took me back in time to the good old days. Our days. . .

   "Me too love." I kissed his hand. "But it's been difficult."

   "I can only imagine. No worries. Things will get better." At that moment, we got to the car, and he started loading the luggage to the boot. "Kim and Roderick have been worried sick about Jesse and have called practically everyday. I guess being gone a little more than two weeks in another country alone is worrisome."

   "Yeah. I just feel even worse because I only called a few times and same for Jesse. Things have been a bit crazy."

   "But you're back, Mum. We'll take you home and you can rest and shake off the jet-lag. At this point, I know when you're about to crash." He closed the boot. "Come here, Mummy." He kissed my head. "You've got us in the midst of your solitude. Now, we mustn't tarry. Let's go home."

"Please. I just want to go home. But first, let's leave Jesse at his. His mom is worried sick."

"You're the boss, Mum." He helped me in and then got in the driver's seat of the car. "You know, the girls, Liv and Carmie, they have an announcement for you but I think they should hold it off."

   "Why? Is it bad?"

   "Well... Yes. It actually is. First, we finally got the answer to that question about Carmen; she's lesbian. She invited a girl over and they made out downstairs. It was horrendous to see that without knowing. Second, Car had been talking with her mum and she got Livia to do so, and guess what. They're leaving us. Their mum wants the custody back. But they will be leaving. Their mum is living in Iceland right now and she's summoned her two daughters to live with her other children. She adopted a young boy and had two other sons with another man. I guess she's repented but either way, Livia and Carmen are ingrates, leaving like such and not even being there for you. But whatever."