Chapter 42

HIS FACE WAS SOLEMN, his shoulders hunched, and eyes were blank and looked as if he had been crying. My boyfriend's clothes were messy and a sleeve of his shirt was significantly ripped, and there were leaves in his perfect blond hair. A very big part of me wanted to go, grab his face, and kiss him to make it all right between us, but we both knew better. The tension between us, and the unsaid words, created a strong barrier and it was knocking me on and off my feet again like a boxer fighting a very skilled opponent. I happened to be the inexperienced boxer who was getting dominated by that highly experienced opponent who wanted me down, and that opponent just happened to be the tension between us.

"Ceci." He reached for me and I stepped back, already feeling the tears in my eyes. "Ceci, please. Why are you leaving? Why are you leaving me?" Why are you making things so difficult, Jesse? Why couldn't you have stayed in school and let me leave peacefully?

"Because I can. I need to go back to England and heal." I cried rubbing my eyes in effort to stop the never-ending tears that just kept coming back and back again and showed my emotions that I tried so hard to keep inconspicuous.

"But you shouldn't. Come with me. I'll take care of you. I won't let you go, my love." But I should... I'm your worst mistake Jesse Exiles and you can't deny it...

"It's not that, Jesse." I hit my face. "I can't be close to them and let them know where I'm at. I need to go and forget about what happened here today." I sobbed and Jesse pulled me into his chest allowing me to inhale his delicious aroma that drove me wild and wild at heart.

   "Cecilia, stop. We can go away together for a little. My mom and dad won't care if I go. They'll approve and I'll help you heal these deep, harming wounds."

   "Time heals all wounds." I answered, regretting letting those words escape my mouth and attempted to hide the chagrin I felt hot on my face, almost like how those people describe the shingles virus in those informational commercials.

   "Don't give me that 'time heals all wounds' crap. Time can give you nasty infections that'll fill you with regret and hopelessness. That's the kind of crap that makes you go insane and gives you unpleasant thoughts like suicide." Ouch... but I knew he'd say that, didn't I?

I chuckled in exasperation, shaking my head as I looked up to this grey sky, remembering me of the London nights I spent with my family when we'd escape Birmingham for a bit. "You'd think I'd do something so stupid, Jesse?"

"I don't think it: I know that your former self is the queen of doing stupid things. I wouldn't want anything to happen to you because you did something stupid, Ce." He knows me so well... it's like we're one person now... my contentions, his...

I pulled away and wrapped my arms around his neck gingerly, touching the hair at the nape of his neck, the blond curls I loved to touch and let my fingers get tangled in them just for the sake of doing it. "Then let me go and heal." I said softly, at a pianissimo volume because that was what went well with the tone of this conversation.

"How will I know that you'll be back?" His delectable, chocolate brown eyes that I just wanted to eat up, softened as he looked more and more into my eyes, searching for something, anything that would calm his unsettled nerves.

"You won't. You just have to trust me." I replied, mentally hitting myself due to my failure to say something better for him.

"Trust you, babe?" He snickered and snorted a bit while doing so. "Babe, I've never doubted you. Not even a single millisecond. That's what we're supposed to do, right? Trust always."

"If you've never doubted me, then please baby." My thumbs started drawing circles softly on his smooth neck.

"I can't let you go." His voice got even softer and vulnerable and his lip trembled as if he was about to start crying. I knew he was trying so hard not to cry in front of me and was trying to be the calm before the storm, but, we both knew he was failing, miserably failing.