Chapter Fifteen: Part One

"Relax Miss Jeon, I mean no harm..."

Jiwoo gripped her fists until her knuckles became white. She was nervous, sleepless and enraged, all at the same time. At this point, she was like a time bomb and it was only matter of the time when she's going to burst. The last thing she needed on that pile of emotions was a man who comes back to bribe her.

"Why don't you just say what you want already?", she tries to sound stable and unfrightened but her voice manages to shake.

The man sitting across from her smiled; he looked like he enjoyed himself. However, only his appearance showed a person not scared to raise his fist, but he hasn't spoken any threats. Yet.

You shouldn't underestimate people like him, Jiwoo repeated mentally, keeping her eyes fixed to a new cup of coffee that she wasn't going to drink as long as he's there. Watching her. Trying to think of words to start his blackmail with, she was sure.

"Oh, don't worry," he then leaned on the chair with his arms crossed over his chest, like he wanted to assure he doesn't have any weapon nor is he planning to hurt her, "I'm not here to remind you of your crime. I don't plan to kidnap you so I could hold you for ransom either. But I'm sure your husband wouldn't mind seeing your dead body when he finds out you tried to kill him."

She told him to shut up through gritted teeth, scared that someone might've heard him, even though they were speaking Korean. She wasn't sure of Kim Fashion's popularity in the United States.

"You're the only person who can prove my guilt and you're trying to tell me you're not here to ruin my life?"

To her surprise, he just shrugged. "Believe it or not, I was just going to get my breakfast and then I saw you get up from this table."

"A chance you couldn't miss..."

"You may be special in Seoul or Sokcho but both of you are pretty much strangers here," he returned twice as sharp. Jiwoo pressed her lips together nervously, "Besides, it's not too hard to check on you."

She raised her eyebrows. Was he creepy enough to even google her name?

He grinned. "Welcome to the 21st century, where you're being judged for being yourself."

"That sounds like something a high school student with depression record would say," the blonde finally raised her cup and downed it in one go, feeling like her head was about to explode from the pressure.

"Maybe I am a high school student?"

"Oh, you have kicked out a long time ago..."

Her remark made him laugh. Jiwoo watched him throw his head back as his Adam's apple and chest moved in the same motion. From a third person's view, they could easily pass for a young couple, having their first meal together.

"It's nice that you're actually laughing, but I still don't understand why you're here. And if you're not planning to tell me, I would like to end our contact here."

She stood up and picked up her bag again, but a hand stopped her from going further. When she looked down, the smile on his face was changed for the seriousness that she's read in eyes so dark she couldn't see the end of their depth.

"I was worried for you," he nearly whispered, like he wanted only her to hear and be affected. Like those words would mean something to her. "Ever since that night, I've been wondering how you're doing, are the reporters stressing you, can your heart take so much trouble at once..."

The look she gave him told him she clearly doesn't believe a word he's saying.

"If you worried that much, why did you leave me? And with my suitcase!"

That was one question Matthew was prepared for, but couldn't answer honestly.

"I know who took him out of that motel..."

Jiwoo stopped walking and turned around, scanning his facial expression and body movements. Nothing gave away a liar or the fact that this might be a scam. Not even the infamous "red nose". But then she had to remind herself not to trust him so easily.

"And who might that be?", she couldn't restrain from asking, but all she got in return was a mysterious smile.

He walked up to her and looked down, trying to figure out her mixed feelings in only two seconds, but she kept the cold facade on.

The tall man wondered who could possibly make a rose as beautiful as she grows so many thorns. And then he swore to find out.

Before she could revolt, Matthew took her by the hand and pulled towards the exit.

(a/n: who are you more excited to see in further book progress: J.So or Bwoo?)