Chapter Twenty Eight

Her

One week earlier

Jiwoo woke up with wrecking headache and sudden urge to throw up. However, when she tried to get up, she noticed there were two arms wrapped around her waist tightly. She looked around and realized she wasn't in her room in Seoul, but in the living room of one-bedroom apartment in New York.

"Hey...", she attempted to call out the person above herself, but her voice would crack mid-word.

"Wake up... I need to use the toilet...", she said a little louder than before, though her throat was hurting with every breath she took.

Matthew's eyelids finally fluttered open, due to the sun coming through the window. The first thing he saw when he looked down were two dark-colored sleepy eyes staring back at him.

"What...?", he asked, expecting rage outburst or shy blush at very least. But instead, Jiwoo simply replied "move". He obeyed and raised himself off the couch to let her pass. Blonde jumped and ran to the bathroom, locking the door from inside.

Jiwoo's attempt to neutralize vomiting sounds by turning on the shower was a fail. Matthew approached the door and knocked enough for her to hear.

"Hey, are you okay there? Should I bring you anything, like clean clothes or a glass of water?", he wondered, trying to sound as polite and worried as possible.

She didn't reply, but toilet flushing was enough for him to be let known she didn't faint inside.

Jiwoo raised herself from cold floor, her legs a bit sore because of long sleep and kneeling. She was putting toothpaste on her toothbrush when she heard Matthew again.

"Judging by the sounds and the way you looked, I suppose you either binged drinking or never had a hangover... Or both?"

Although he couldn't see her, Jiwoo rolled her eyes at the reflection in the mirror and started brushing her teeth thoroughly. Of course, she doubted it was any of the three; she was told morning sicknesses are very common with brain tumor, but lately it's become almost impossible for her to handle them.

She stopped brushing for a moment and took blonde lock in free hand. Maybe she was exaggerating, but her hair felt strangely weak and fragile. Doctor told her not to worry about the hair loss for now, but it was his job to not stress her and she was the suffering one.

"For real though, are you sure you're fine? I can't really hear you...", her roommate's voice stopped her train of thoughts that was passing through dark tunnel in that moment.

"Everything's fine, Matt, please don't come in!", she yelled when he grabbed the door handle on the outside. "If you want to be of help, could you please get my beauty bag? It's somewhere under the bed."

She never really took care of where her makeup was, so one bag filled with finest brand names lost under bed shouldn't be a surprise for anyone living with Jeon Jiwoo.

Murmuring something that was supposed to be a "yes", Matthew runs to her room and finds chic colorful makeup bag on the floor under bed. He stares at it for a few moments, curiosity taking over him, his rational side telling him to leave it.

Taking a look won't hurt, he thinks to himself and unzips the bag. Foundation, mascara, setting powder, lip gloss, contours, inside was everything guys like him would never understand the use of.

This is the brand Somin used to brag about, he suddenly remembered while looking at red lipstick.

She sounded calm and collected over the phone, but Matthew also knew how good she was at hiding her emotions.