Chapter Twenty

Her

As her new roommate promised, Jiwoo never saw him after morning lectures. They would occasionally say good morning to each other, although it was awkward at first because of Matthew's habit to walk around with no shirt on. After some time, she got used to it or simply left before he opened his eyes.

She had hours and hours of silence for studying, but the more time passed, the more she felt like choosing Business Analytics major was a big mistake. Complicated expressions combined with gigantic numbers only made her even more depressed about the future.

As expected, her mother tried reaching her, but she never picked up her calls.

Taehyung will have to come up with an excuse for that, she thought while turning off her phone.

Taehyung. His name had a bitter sound on her tongue. At night, he would come to her dreams. He would hug her and ask her how is she doing. Then she would tell him how much she loves him and how much she missed him. His eyes would fill with tears.

Liar! - he would yell - If you loved me, you'd never do it!

Do what? - she would ask, her voice shaking, but they both knew very well what he was talking about.

The only thing that stopped Jiwoo from completely losing her focus was an unfulfilled dream - designing. She spent days and nights spilling her creativity on blank pages, then hid those papers under her bed. She knew nobody from her family would approve, as they already had her future planned.

Jiwoo let out a long sigh and put the pencil away, along with untouched books and papers. She massaged her temples, trying to calm down the pain that would hit her around the same time every day. It was the worst minutes after waking up and came back in waves during the afternoon and late night hours, but she didn't give it much importance, thinking it was just jet lag.

Blonde looked up at the clock that was hanging on the wall above her head. It was half-past nine and Matthew's been absent since yesterday morning. She didn't mind, as he did mention there could be 'unplanned voyages', but today she woke up with familiar loneliness.

It was everywhere: in her heart, her bones, and her skin. It was the little creaks of her footsteps, the shower rustling in the early morning and sudden wind shaking the window pane.

Jiwoo raised her body off the chair reluctantly, but her stomach was growling and it was only then that she realized she hasn't eaten anything all day. She approached the fridge and found three bottles of beer and a pack of pasta.

"Does he ever fill this thing?", she murmured while going through a kitchen cabinet, looking for fitting pot. Since she didn't know when Matthew will be coming back, she decided to leave the leftovers on the dining table once she's done.

As she stood above the burner, waiting for the water to start boiling, Jiwoo mentally rolled her eyes and the situation she got herself into. Instead of ordering breakfast from her cooks and waiting for her husband to get home at noon so they could go to another banquet and humanitarian evening, she was alone in small apartment on the other side of globe, preparing dinner for a man who doesn't even know how to spell high class, let alone be part of it.

You brought this to yourself Jeon Jiwoo, so suck it up, she imagined her mother's reaction and firm face expression. Or maybe she wouldn't bother giving her lectures. You are a disgrace to this family!

Door lock clicking sound disrupted her bubble of thoughts. Someone opened the front door and entered.

"It was about time! I was just about to call and ask if you're coming for dinner!", Jiwoo shouted without looking up, busy with pouring hot water in the sink and transferring pasta to the colander. When she raised her head, she had to bite her tongue in order to not scream.