Chapter Twelve

Her

"I'm sorry? My husband has what?"

Doctor Brown looked at her very seriously and fixed half-moon shaped glasses on his nose before repeating the sentence Jiwoo couldn't process.

"Cibophobia, or, more simply, fear of food. There are two ways it's expressed: food aversion or fear of choking. I'm sure you've experienced the first case with your own child - avoiding certain foods like green vegetables."

"Actually, we don't have kids...", she lowered her head, finding his example awkward.

"Oh, I'm really sorry. Anyways, there's a big chance you've experienced it in your own skin at one point in your childhood. But I'm afraid his case might be in the second group of food phobics, which is fear of choking or gagging."

He looked at Taehyung's room door worriedly and continued. "This type of cibophobia is not uncommon in any age range. While a child is often able to overcome food aversion quickly, it might take more time and effort for adults to get over their food fear. It is commonly expressed after a traumatic experience involving food or liquid; for example food poisoning..."

Jiwoo gasped at last two words.

"Patient is afraid they're going to eat expired date food again, or that someone might've put something in their drink. That's why they will avoid cafes, restaurants, fast food, and pizza delivery and they'll almost never accept liquor from anyone else's hands but their own. Of course, those are just extreme cases. Mr. Kim's state is hard to predict at this moment, but so far he refused all food offered to him. He was at the brunch with colleagues in a nearby restaurant when he suddenly fainted. We gave him intravenous infusion until he gained consciousness, but I'm warning you; this phobia can affect his health in drastic ways if he doesn't start working on it right away. The reason he fainted in the first place was that he hasn't eaten anything in days."

Young woman covered her mouth in shock, realizing all this happened because of her. If it wasn't for her selfishness, they could've started over normally. Now they were on edge of divorce that she didn't want anymore. She has to be fast if she wants to stop him from calling a lawyer.

"Can I... Can I see him?"

Doctor Brown nods, seeming satisfied with her question. "We think you might be the only one who will be able to make him eat. If he sees the person closest to him motivating him, he might make a move himself."

That was a great idea... Except no one knew they were as close as a penguin and polar bear; they lived on the same ground but one had to run away from the other in order to survive.

When she was about to make another comment, a girl approached the doctor. Jiwoo noticed two things about her:

1. she was definitely not American, but the way she spoke gave away free, careless person

2. she was incredibly beautiful, which made her self-conscious for a moment.

They were around the same height, and maybe even age. She had brown hair that reached her shoulders, but what fascinated Jiwoo the most were her facial features, perfectly compliant with a heart-shaped head as if she was a sculpture. Even her legs were well-built, but her waist shape was hidden behind a grey sweatshirt with NEW YORK printed in bold font.

The rest of her outfit consisted of ripped jeans, UGG brown boots that were especially popular that winter in the USA and a powder pink scarf hanging around her neck, more like fashion supplement.

"Somin, I told you to stay in your room," doctor's tone was calm, but he was clearly worried.

"I just went to the restroom...", Somin spoke, lowering her eyes a little.